Moving on from a bad day

Hi everyone. I’m Megan, I’ve been all sorts of weights and usually haven’t worried too much when I’ve gained a bit as I’d lose it naturally, but for the last two years I’ve been steadily gaining weight to the point that I’m now concerned health wise and not just about how I look. I’m 164 lbs and aiming to eventually lose 20lbs. I wanted to introduce myself and ask everyone for their tips on how to cope with having had a bad day when you’ve eaten too much of the wrong things.

Replies

• pianobelle
    pianobelle Posts: 6 Member
    edited February 2019
    Hi! I always look at it like this: Weight loss is a journey. It's not a competition. It's not a race, it's a lifestyle. Healthy eating for me is about 90% good choices and 10% convenient or splurge worthy choices. In my own personal experience, you cannot micromanage your day to day weight loss or you'll go crazy. Every single time I have lost weight for good it has been because I didn't "go on a diet", I just made better choices for the majority of the time. Some days you will have the cheeseburger or the chocolate bar and that's ok!
  • placeboBL
    placeboBL Posts: 62 Member
    The two worst things you can do are, 1) give up and let the bad day become a bad week/month/year and 2) try to overcompensate and eat nothing/very little the following day.

In the grand scheme of losing 20 pounds, one day is nothing. Don’t let it stress you out. Make tomorrow healthy and look forward.

I would suggest thinking about why it was a bad day. Are you stress eating? Are you at such a dramatic caloric deficit that you’re constantly hungry, and you gave in to the cravings today? Are you bored? Did you have a social event? Finding the true source of the “bad day” will help you learn from it and move on. If it was something as simple as a night out with friends, then forget it. Enjoy life. Tomorrow is a new day. If you’re undereating, then consider upping calories by 8-10%. If you’re stressed/bored, find another outlet beside indulging.
  • Rmofit3
    Rmofit3 Posts: 94 Member
    Put it behind you and move forward!
  • Hi everyone. I’m Megan, I’ve been all sorts of weights and usually haven’t worried too much when I’ve gained a bit as I’d lose it naturally, but for the last two years I’ve been steadily gaining weight to the point that I’m now concerned health wise and not just about how I look. I’m 164 lbs and aiming to eventually lose 20lbs. I wanted to introduce myself and ask everyone for their tips on how to cope with having had a bad day when you’ve eaten too much of the wrong things.

Shrug your shoulders. Then forget about it. It's only ONE day. You don't get fat in ONE day and you don't get thin in ONE day. Tomorrow, make sure to break the streak and don't let it become TWO days.

Eventually, you'll understand that it's impossible to be perfect and the calories you eat on any given day don't matter as much as the long term averages.

• mwalle09
    mwalle09 Posts: 305 Member
    You've got this! You are right, we have bad days and need to cope, what we do not need to do is always cope unhealthily. I'm guilty of that too but figuring it out is the journey.