Exercise calorie help me!!

Options
So I noticed that my iPhone gives this app my steps and it goes into my exercise calories but I don’t think it’s actually tracking that I ran those steps. For example it added like 88 calories for steps. But my treadmill says 340ish calories. I added 40 minutes of cardio and 300 calories just to experiment. I have a heart rate monitor but I lost the charger and haven’t gotten to use it with this app yet. Does anyone have any suggestions on whether I should be tracking my calories from runs or should I let my phone use my steps?

Replies

• jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I would say get a new charger for the heart rate monitor. Steps are just that - steps...counted at a walking pace - if you are running - your heart rate is higher and you'll burn more calories....
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Treadmills are notoriously wrong for calories burned. I wouldn't trust what the treadmill says.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Your phone and the app make the assumption that steps are walking. If you want to record your run, enter it separately as exercise. Having said that, treadmills and this app are both known for overestimating calories burned during exercise so the general recommendation is to eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories and evaluate how that works for you after several weeks.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Some say the only difference between walking and running a distance is running you get there quicker.
  • jlilly2018
    jlilly2018 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My app doesn’t seem to sync the exercise calories correctly. Instead of adding those calories back to the calories allowed to be consumed, it subtracts them. Example: 1550 cals allowed for the day subtract a smoothie 150 cals consumed leaves 1400 left to be consumed. Step/exercise calculator shows 200 cals burned but it subtracts that from my allowable total leaving me 1200 for the day to consume. So the more I work out the LESS I can eat. I’ve tried reconnecting and resyncing my Versa to my iPhone. Negative calorie allowance is checked. It sure what to try next