Weekly Calorie Goal

nelja
nelja Posts: 282 Member
Good morning. I have been struggling the last month with the scale. I have found that when I cycle , i need to eat more in order to loose weight. I have put different calorie goals for each day. But I get a bit complicated. I have now added all the different goals for each day together and divided it by 7 to get a average daily goal. Will that approach work? To basically have a weekly calorie goal? Have any one tried it like this? Our cycling program is really tought.

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    There are many that rely on weekly goals instead of daily ones as it is much more workable for them. They have had great success doing so. Mostly though it is so they can eat a bit extra on the weekend!

Alternatively, you can add extra calories in on the days you cycle as exercise. Just find what works best for you.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited March 2019
    yep, i always work to my weekly goal, not daily.

ETA, the app does the calculations for you
  • nelja
    edited March 2019
    Thanks a lot. Also I am in normal BMI, but always wanted to loose some, because I feel really fat . But I found a picture of myself 2 year back and I think there is progress made. Can you see the difference, or am I just been optimistic? Also will it be a good idea to start "re-comp". Building some muscle because I am actually about the same weight as in the before picture. I do wear a belt in the after picture.
    tw9n6leco9g1.png
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Do you actually want a same every day goal (TDEE method) as opposed to just eating back your exercise calories?

You can track your weekly calories on the phone app by the way.
  • nelja
    How do you track your weekly calories on the phone? Do you need premium for that? My wahoo elemnt and garmin 520 give very much different calories and then I do not know how much I can eat back. Any suggestions percentage wise how much?
    sijomial wrote: »
    Do you actually want a same every day goal (TDEE method) as opposed to just eating back your exercise calories?

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited March 2019
    nelja wrote: »
    How do you track your weekly calories on the phone? Do you need premium for that? My wahoo elemnt and garmin 520 give very much different calories and then I do not know how much I can eat back. Any suggestions percentage wise how much?

It's available on the free version.
    Food Diary / Nutrition / change from Day View to Week View

I use Garmin and Strava (but since last year Strava takes the Garmin calories and over-writes its own estimate so I only use Strava by itself on local transportation trips).
    I've found both Garmin & Strava to be reasonable and perfectly usable estimates without any adjustment, they are probably trying to estimate gross cals but as my aero is awful it evens out to a large degree.

When I use a power meter equipped indoor trainer (very accurate calorie estimates) it validates that my outdoor riding estimates are reasonable, some seem high, some seem low - on average they are fine.

• nelja
    I also have a wahoo kickr indoor trainer, that one I also feel the calories as very accurate. But when riding out side, i do not have power meter. Then it seems too high. Well at least I know it is not off too much. I will check if I can not use it like that.
  • nelja
    edited March 2019
    What percentage of your cycling do you eat back?