IBS/Gas

Options
Anyone else have IBS? I hate how I wind up being bloated all the time especially when I’m at work it’s embarrassing my body making noises and it sucks having to hold my farts in. Today I had some cereal with milk and I’m more bloated than normal not sure if it’s the lactose from the milk or what. It would be nice to make friends with some people who have IBS or other gas problems. I try not to fart around my girlfriend because she’s like eww you stink. Feel free to add me on here as a friend if you want to.

Sincerely,

David

Replies

• EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Yep- all kinds of fun GI issues here! It's hard when you're trying to eat healthy foods, but those cause some of the worst problems. (Broccoli, cauliflower, onions, etc) I do not have the patience for an elimination diet, so I just eat what I want and deal with it.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Warning: TMI coming your way. I have IBS-D and have tried quite a few things to get in under control, nothing seems to help for the long term and even my GI is stumped. I am definitely with you on the embarrassing gas and I also get rather embarrassing bouts of diarrhea to the point where I usually have to scrub the toilet after. It is always the worst when you are at someone else house and have an issue and just pray there is a toilet brush and air freshener in their bathroom :/

My husband understands by now I just don't go into details and will say I am having a flare up and he gets the picture. I also always have Gatorade on hand for flare ups because I need to replace what I have "lost" so to speak.

I also get stomach aches at least 3 times a week usually for no good or an odd reason. Hungry? stomach ache. Full? stomach ache. Ate something that set fine with me last week? eh let's make life interesting and give you a stomach ache. Oh and my favorite one, are you really tired? You guessed it, stomach ache. I mean who on earth gets stomach aches because they are extremely tired? Me. Ugh.

Have you tried eliminating common triggers from your diet such as dairy? Have you been tested for celiac?

I have had every test for every food intolerance run and I have had 3 colonoscopy and an endoscopy and I am only 27 for crying out loud. I have also gone and seen 3 different GI's to find solutions and all of them hit a brick wall with me eventually.

Sorry for the rant, as they say misery loves company. Feel free to add me if you want, I understand what you are going through.

ETA: I always carry gas-x, pepto and immodium in my purse because of my IBS.
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I do. I ve been on painkillers for last 4 years for it as it was debilitating and still get flare ups.

I ve done FODMAP diet eliminated dairy,onion, broccoli ,fizzy drinks so called HEALTHY food ! All bran cereal anything whole grain I am in absolute agony.
    White bread/rice absolutely fine.
    Can't have too much fruit and veg and as someone mentioned tiredness and stress tends to bring it up.

I would recommend lots of water.mint/fennel/nettle tea helps with bloating I also take peppermint capsules.

Food diary to figure out whats flaring it up and look into soluble fibre-I can tolerate most of it and works for me ie oats ,nkn soluble gives me stomach ache.

Good luck !

• hypocacculus
    hypocacculus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend checking out the FODMAP diet. This is a diet that eliminates "Fermentable Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharides and Polyols" - basically "soluble fibre" which is all the carbs that your digestive enzymes can't deal with and end up fermenting in your colon with explosive results. This includes a lot of stuff that is generally promoted as healthy so flies in the face of much dietary advice.

It is not a trivial diet and you should probably seek out a dietician to help you through it. A guy I know with similar problems waxed lyrical about how it had really turned him around.