Knee popping with indoor cycle

Options
I got indoor Desk cycle to use as I can't afford recumbent bike and currently going through physio for neck injury so can't engage upper back/neck and running/swimming is on hold.

I posted this in another forum but hoped to get more suggestions here and please be kind.

I tried the bike first time few days ago ,I haven't cycled in quite a while.It was on lower resistance 1-2 out of 8 and towards the end I started getting pain around my knee and my knee started popping. It was painful yesterday ,today not too bad I tried moving the cycle from under the desk just on the floor while sitting at the same chair and used for 5 min ,really slow to check today and popping again.

I am.planning to rest this weekend.

I used to run few times a week and get alot of steps walking daily and I never had knee pain or popping.

Im aware I probably overdone doing 40 min but should I be worried about popping ?! I am now panicking I won't be able to use it when I already had to stop lots of workouts because of neck issues,this was suppose to be something to use in the evenings when watching TV to stay active.

There is no swelling or anything like that.

Thank you.

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    You might want to talk to a doctor about that if you're able to. It doesn't sound like you're doing anything intense, so there might be a problem that needs to be managed before you start again. The doctor can determine what's causing the popping, and either provide recommendations to manage it, prescribe something to help with the pain or potentially refer you to a physical therapist that can provide treatment to help with the joint. From my point of view, it's potentially an issue not with pressure but with a deeper knee bend than you would get with walking.
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Im not looking for medical advice and thank you for suggestions but if I go to my GP and say my knee was popping with no swelling or pain Im gonna get laughed at.

I waited months for physio for my neck issue and I only get 30 min monthly and that's regularly flaring up and Im on painkillers for it atm so to be refered for this would be close to impossible.

I was just hoping to hear from people that have encountered this when cycling as I am concerned having never had pain when running and hitting 14,15000 steps daily.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Im not looking for medical advice and thank you for suggestions but if I go to my GP and say my knee was popping with no swelling or pain Im gonna get laughed at.

I waited months for physio for my neck issue and I only get 30 min monthly and that's regularly flaring up and Im on painkillers for it atm so to be refered for this would be close to impossible.

I was just hoping to hear from people that have encountered this when cycling as I am concerned having never had pain when running and hitting 14,15000 steps daily.

You said you had pain.
  • passenger79
    Options
    I have no pain today ,it was just popping again when I tried it for 5 minutes from a different position.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    If your GP would actually laugh at you for that, then maybe you need to look for another one. Anyway, I had NO swelling with my first ACL tare and no pain during the actual tare with only quick moderate amounts of pain when it would randomly buckle afterwards. My second ACL tare only had minimal swelling that was gone by the time I got back from the trip I was on when I tore it.
    Now, I'm not a doctor and not saying I think you have a torn ligament like I did; I'm not authorized to make that determination anyway. I'm just saying that the absence or presence of swelling or constant pain isn't necessarily diagnostic. So if this keeps up you may want to see a doctor. If your insurance will allow it without a referral and you can afford it, skip the GP and call an ortho if you don't think the GP will take you seriously.
    Good luck. I hope you get this figured out.
  • passenger79
    Options
    If your GP would actually laugh at you for that, then maybe you need to look for another one. Anyway, I had NO swelling with my first ACL tare and no pain during the actual tare with only quick moderate amounts of pain when it would randomly buckle afterwards. My second ACL tare only had minimal swelling that was gone by the time I got back from the trip I was on when I tore it.
    Now, I'm not a doctor and not saying I think you have a torn ligament like I did; I'm not authorized to make that determination anyway. I'm just saying that the absence or presence of swelling or constant pain isn't necessarily diagnostic. So if this keeps up you may want to see a doctor. If your insurance will allow it without a referral and you can afford it, skip the GP and call an ortho if you don't think the GP will take you seriously.
    Good luck. I hope you get this figured out.

Thank you. I can't afford private treatments at the moment I had to stop osteopath treatments for my neck issues recently. I will see how I get on and if it persists see a GP. It took me nearly a year to get TOS diagnosed and to be refered so really hope it's nothing serious .
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Don't mess around with knee pain. I still have to baby my knees after an injury about 10 years old.

Since you say your are "currently going through physio for neck injury" can't you ask your neck physio about your knee? This is really a question for a medical professional.
  • passenger79
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Don't mess around with knee pain. I still have to baby my knees after an injury about 10 years old.

Since you say your are "currently going through physio for neck injury" can't you ask your neck physio about your knee? This is really a question for a medical professional.

No because they won't discuss two unrelated things in that measly half an hour I get.Everyone is assuming injury straight away and as I said I wasn't looking for medical advice just see if anyone else had this when starting cycling.

If it doesn't get better I will see GP.
    Thank you.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    yes my knee pops when i cycle because i screwed it up 10yrs ago - typically popping is a sign of some kind of misalignment or something in catching in your knee - i'm not a doctor but had many issues over the years

i know you won't like my syggestion based on responses but GP and diagnostics (i.e. MRI or X-ray) to see what could be causing it (MRI would be the best option, but some places require an x-ray first) - i don't recommend PT until you get a diagnosis (mine got screwed up more by PT because they sent me prior to Dx and it was something a PT couldn't fix)