Food scale a life saver

Options
beydounaliny
beydounaliny Posts: 11 Member
edited March 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I used to think it was silly to weigh out food...Been using it the past 3 weeks and down 7 lbs...I even used it at work ( auto mechanic) and got all the stares, I didn't give a crap.

25 more to go...ty myfitnesspal members

Replies

• beydounaliny
    beydounaliny Posts: 11 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    brittlb07 wrote: »
    I totally agree! This is the first time I’ve ever tried to lose weight JUST limiting calories and not planned working out and I’ve lost 14 pounds since January 1! Simply counting calories. Having more success than my usual work out and “diet”. About half way there!

great job :smile:

Hopefully when i lose the next 25 my fingers get skinner so they stop getting stuck in the engine bay lol.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Woo hoo! Another convert!
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, for me, it goes the other way.... and I am amazed at how much rotisserie chicken I can get for 4 oz ...wish it was the same for ice cream!
  • kariadner
    kariadner Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes!

Measuring cups and spoons are way more accurate than just eye-balling it. But buying a digital scale was a great decision for me. It's way more accurate than measuring volume.
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I love my food scale not just for the accuracy but for the convenience. If I'm cooking something, it's such a pain to use cups and spoons now, especially when you need a certain size multiple times, for dry/wet goods like pepper or peanut butter. Such a pain to clean as well. With the scale, I just stick the bowl on top and weigh away.

I never thought to do this! Thanks for the idea.

And same I just got my scale last week and I realized I was overheating on things, like one serving of almonds is not much for a lot of calories and eyeballing chicken can result in so many differences because of how thick they are. I measure everything right now. And it’s amazing. Haven’t weighed myself yet but we’ll see.

• FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    And I bring mine to work as well....
  • Rodney_Mckay
    Rodney_Mckay Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Congratz man keep up the great work!

I thought it was stupid too at first ..

.. now i just have to figure out a way to make my coworkers understand why its not stupid
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    I'm borderline obsessive about using mine. Though, my wife has even stopped rolling her eyes at me (for food scale use at least). It's all I can do to not bring it with me when we go to others' houses or buy one of the small travel ones.
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Way to to go. Cheers to your continued success, you got this!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Congrats! food scales are the only way I can lose weight. no way can I eyeball anything accurately.
    I love my food scale not just for the accuracy but for the convenience. If I'm cooking something, it's such a pain to use cups and spoons now, especially when you need a certain size multiple times, for dry/wet goods like pepper or peanut butter. Such a pain to clean as well. With the scale, I just stick the bowl on top and weigh away.

Totally agree and feel the same way. it's quicker, easier and just part of routine. I have one at work even as I was tired of the extra dishes of weight portions at home (ex: almonds) and bringing them in. I just keep almonds and scale at work!

in fact may baking tv shows will use scales VS measuring cups. some baking recipies will insist on weight VS measuring cups.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    Congrats! food scales are the only way I can lose weight. no way can I eyeball anything accurately.

Totally agree and feel the same way. it's quicker, easier and just part of routine. I have one at work even as I was tired of the extra dishes of weight portions at home (ex: almonds) and bringing them in. I just keep almonds and scale at work!

in fact may baking tv shows will use scales VS measuring cups. some baking recipes will insist on weight VS measuring cups.

Yes, America's Test Kitchen recipes generally include the weight of flour.

Also, it is much more common in Europe to use weights.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I think I'm the only person who isn't shocked by how much a serving of peanut butter is. I don't like peanut butter that much I guess, I've always eaten about a serving on a sandwich, actually usually less.

I love my food scale, I have an oxo one that is still pretty popular, I've had mine for like 8 years.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Best twenty bucks I ever spent was on a digital food scale. :)
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything. Except supper, that I eyeball, because I allocate 800 calories to that meal.
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    A food scale is definitely a game changer! I just bought a new scale because I no longer trust my old one. I would look away and the numbers would change! Or they would randomly go up or down without me moving anything. Tried new batteries but that wasn't it. I'm thinking of buying a small one to leave at my desk at work too.