biggest loser diet

Options
The Biggest Loser Diet:Inside the Campus Kitchen
by Cheryl Forberg, RD, the show's nutritionist, explains the science behind the diet that's helped season after season of Biggest Loser contestants become big weight loss winners.

The Biggest Loser Diet has to help contestants count calories to lose fat and feel satisfied, while keeping energy levels high through vigorous workouts. To achieve this, the experts on the show (myself included) developed a careful balance of food groups. The main Biggest Loser Diet rules: Focus on fruits and vegetables; increase lean protein and limit starches; include whole grains; and avoid white flour, sugar, and pasta. The result: a three-meal, two-snack per day eating plan that breaks down how to count calories daily into 45% complex carbohydrates, 30% lean protein, and 25% healthy fats. Here's how to plan your meals for a 1,350-calorie day (if you work out vigorously three or more times per week, increase your daily calories to 1,800)

45% of your daily calories: Complex Carbohydrates
Per meal
45 to 50 calories from fruits
55 to 60 calories from vegetables
50 to 55 calories from whole grains

Per snack
55 to 60 calories from fruits, vegetables, or whole grains

Why it works
By focusing on fruits and vegetables with a high-water content, you can eat a lot for few calories. Plus, the fiber in whole grains keeps blood sugar steady so you feel fuller longer.

Shop for
Fruits such as apples, berries, grapes, melons, and oranges. Good veggie picks include artichokes, asparagus, cabbage, eggplant, lettuce, mushrooms, peppers, onions, and zucchini. For whole grains, choose whole wheat pitas, bulgur, brown rice, rolled oats, and quinoa.

30%: Lean Protein
Per meal
100 to 105 calories

Per snack
30 to 35 calories

Why it works
It reduces cholesterol from your diet, helps support muscle growth (which boosts metabolism), and controls blood sugar (to keep you satisfied).

Shop for
Different types of lean protein provide a range of nutrients, so go for a variety, including animal protein (95% lean beef, pork, and veal; skinless white meat chicken and turkey; salmon, trout, and tuna), vegetarian protein (beans and legumes, edamame and soy products), and low-fat dairy (1% or fat-free milk, plain yogurt, and reduced-fat cottage cheese).

25%: Healthy Fats
Per meal
90 to 95 calories

Per snack
25 to 30 calories

Why it works
Anything lower than 25% fat is too hard to stick to. And because there may be hidden fat calories in some carbohydrate and protein choices, it's important to add small amounts of good-for-you fats to meals.

Shop for
Olive and canola oils, flaxseed, nuts, nut butters, olives, and avocado.

The Right Ratio
How to build an ideal Biggest Loser Diet meal, based on a 1,350-calorie day.

45% Complex Carbohydrates
Eat about 50 calories each of fruits, veggies, and whole grains per meal: Enjoy one small apple or 1 cup of berries; 2 cups of sliced bell pepper or 1 small head of lettuce; 1/4 cup of cooked brown rice or 1/2 small whole wheat pita.

30% Lean Protein
Have about 100 calories per meal: You get about 3 ounces of fish, 6 egg whites, 1/2 cup of cooked beans, or an 8-ounce glass of low-fat milk.

25% Healthy Fats
That's about 90 calories per meal: 1 tablespoon of olive oil, half an avocado, or 15 of your favorite olives are all full of good-for-you fats.

Replies

• mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    The Biggest Loser Diet:Inside the Campus Kitchen
    by Cheryl Forberg, RD, the show's nutritionist, explains the science behind the diet that's helped season after season of Biggest Loser contestants become big weight loss winners.

The Biggest Loser Diet has to help contestants count calories to lose fat and feel satisfied, while keeping energy levels high through vigorous workouts. To achieve this, the experts on the show (myself included) developed a careful balance of food groups. The main Biggest Loser Diet rules: Focus on fruits and vegetables; increase lean protein and limit starches; include whole grains; and avoid white flour, sugar, and pasta. The result: a three-meal, two-snack per day eating plan that breaks down how to count calories daily into 45% complex carbohydrates, 30% lean protein, and 25% healthy fats. Here's how to plan your meals for a 1,350-calorie day (if you work out vigorously three or more times per week, increase your daily calories to 1,800)

45% of your daily calories: Complex Carbohydrates
    Per meal
    45 to 50 calories from fruits
    55 to 60 calories from vegetables
    50 to 55 calories from whole grains

Per snack
    55 to 60 calories from fruits, vegetables, or whole grains

Why it works
    By focusing on fruits and vegetables with a high-water content, you can eat a lot for few calories. Plus, the fiber in whole grains keeps blood sugar steady so you feel fuller longer.

Shop for
    Fruits such as apples, berries, grapes, melons, and oranges. Good veggie picks include artichokes, asparagus, cabbage, eggplant, lettuce, mushrooms, peppers, onions, and zucchini. For whole grains, choose whole wheat pitas, bulgur, brown rice, rolled oats, and quinoa.

30%: Lean Protein
    Per meal
    100 to 105 calories

Per snack
    30 to 35 calories

Why it works
    It reduces cholesterol from your diet, helps support muscle growth (which boosts metabolism), and controls blood sugar (to keep you satisfied).

Shop for
    Different types of lean protein provide a range of nutrients, so go for a variety, including animal protein (95% lean beef, pork, and veal; skinless white meat chicken and turkey; salmon, trout, and tuna), vegetarian protein (beans and legumes, edamame and soy products), and low-fat dairy (1% or fat-free milk, plain yogurt, and reduced-fat cottage cheese).

25%: Healthy Fats
    Per meal
    90 to 95 calories

Per snack
    25 to 30 calories

Why it works
    Anything lower than 25% fat is too hard to stick to. And because there may be hidden fat calories in some carbohydrate and protein choices, it's important to add small amounts of good-for-you fats to meals.

Shop for
    Olive and canola oils, flaxseed, nuts, nut butters, olives, and avocado.

The Right Ratio
    How to build an ideal Biggest Loser Diet meal, based on a 1,350-calorie day.

45% Complex Carbohydrates
    Eat about 50 calories each of fruits, veggies, and whole grains per meal: Enjoy one small apple or 1 cup of berries; 2 cups of sliced bell pepper or 1 small head of lettuce; 1/4 cup of cooked brown rice or 1/2 small whole wheat pita.

30% Lean Protein
    Have about 100 calories per meal: You get about 3 ounces of fish, 6 egg whites, 1/2 cup of cooked beans, or an 8-ounce glass of low-fat milk.

25% Healthy Fats
    That's about 90 calories per meal: 1 tablespoon of olive oil, half an avocado, or 15 of your favorite olives are all full of good-for-you fats.
  • Heather125
    Heather125 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    that's neat I always wondered about their diet thanks for sharing
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Great Post! :drinker:
  • Mickie17
    Mickie17 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this! I've been wondering how they do their meal plans. Where did you find the article?
  • licia67
    licia67 Posts: 109
    Options
    great post thanks
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this! I've been wondering how they do their meal plans. Where did you find the article?

I just googled biggest loser and calories per day As a heads up to you they have the biggest loser meal plan website that will come up too its like Nutrisystem you pay for foods to be shipped to you.
  • imworthit
    imworthit Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Want to read this later.
    Thanks!
  • mgullette
    mgullette Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Looks like those contestants Eat Clean! Thanks for the post.
  • nwfamilygal
    Options
    Thanks for the post. Very interesting:happy:
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Look like clean eating is in.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    If the BL contestants are only eating 1350 calories per day, then why doesn't their metabolism shut down? So many people post that we MUST eat our exercise cals, while it is obvious that the people on BL do not! I hardly call 10 lbs per week losses a sluggish metabolism! This is why the exercise calorie eating debate is so confusing to me. I continue to average about 1500 cals eaten per day, while burning over 2300.
  • mgullette
    mgullette Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    If the BL contestants are only eating 1350 calories per day, then why doesn't their metabolism shut down? So many people post that we MUST eat our exercise cals, while it is obvious that the people on BL do not! I hardly call 10 lbs per week losses a sluggish metabolism! This is why the exercise calorie eating debate is so confusing to me. I continue to average about 1500 cals eaten per day, while burning over 2300.

You have to keep in mind that these contestants have a team of doctors constantly watching over them. They are also working out for 4+ hours per day, something people in the real world just don't have time for. Finally, most of them are morbidly obese, so a weight loss of more than 2 or so pounds per week is ok for them, as it's more important to get that weight off than it is to lose at a slow and steady pace. I don't think there are MUSTs for anyone here, and finding if you continue to lose weight or not while not eating your exercise calories is key.

Also, by going slower, you can learn better habits and they're more likely to stick. You'll have less loose skin to deal with too.

Has anyone seen Eric lately? I can't remember what season he won, but he looked HOT. Unfortunately, Eric has gained back more than 100 pounds, and he attributes that to no longer being in the spotlight and having people watch him all the time. None of us want that to happen! Especially since Eric had the surgery to remove his loose skin.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 500-1000 caloric deficit daily through a combination of diet & exercise (especially during the week), which should equate to a desirable 1-2 lb loss per week. I'm not concerned with the scale, just wishing to lose some fat and gain some muscle.
  • Mickie17
    Options
    I think BL is all about the "Eat Less, Move More" philosophy...which makes sense, if you think about it.
  • Mickie17
    Options
    Is there a specific book on this diet?
  • Mickie17
    Options
    Is there a specific book on this diet?

Oops! I misread the thread...got it.

Has anyone out there tried this diet???
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I would gain from this plan, has too many fruits and I am allergic to wheat products..........
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    i am eating a 40-40-20 plan
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    I would gain from this plan, has too many fruits and I am allergic to wheat products..........

how would you gain weight?- This is a typical macro nutrient plan for weight loss
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

how would you gain weight?- This is a typical macro nutrient plan for weight loss

Easy, too much fruit (which is sugar). I can have no more than 3 servings a fruit a week to lose weight.