Calories or overall nutrition?

Options
Sherie13
Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
So, i have my meals all planned out for today. I have dinner planned and my afternoon snack. I'm only over by 2 calories. But, I'm way over by fat and protein! What should I do? I am thinking something in there is way off. How can I be that much over? Do ya'll pay attention to everything or just calories?

Remaining -2 70 -42 -36

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I try to pay attention to everything but sometimes give up. I eat A LOT of fruit so I always go over on sugar. I pay close attention to carbs, fat, calories, protein, and fiber,
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Look at my food log. I am way under on calories but I eat a TON of food :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I pay the closest attention to my calories. Next I watch my protein (especially on the days I go to the gym). I see where my carbs are for the day - but don't pay a whole lot of attention to them since carbs don't bother me. As for everything else? Eh. I'm more focused on calories overall.

BUT. I've found that this works best for ME - which is why I do it this way.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I pay attention equally to calories and overall nutrition (macro ratios and micronutrients).

If you're using the MFP default, I wouldn't be concerned at all about going over on protein or fat, if it's good healthy fat in particular. But that's me - for me, a ratio of 40/30/30 works well, which means I consume more than 100 grams of protein, less than 150 grams of carbohydrates (most days), and I don't care at all if my fat goes above that since it comes usually from almonds, avocado, and other foods I consider healthy like eggs and dairy. MFP's ratios are 55% carbs and a low protein, like 10%?

But that's just my take on it :)
  • HeatherrSue
    HeatherrSue Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I always look at the whole picture...quality is as important if not more important that quantity...I'm almost always over on protein. You just gotta find what works for you. Good luck girl.
  • SimplyDeLish
    Options
    Without being able to view your diary it's hard to comment.

Here's a couple of thoughts. Most people eat more protein than MFP sets as the target. Usually the increased protein is significantly high enough to do any damage. Plus, protein is good to help repair and build muscle.

Fat - take a look at your diary and find out where that fat is coming from. My guess is much of it is from the protein. Maybe selecting a lower fat meat protein or a meatless protein will keep that under control.

Calories are important for weight control, but the source of the calories is important for over all health.

Good luck!
  • misslyssx
    Options
    No matter what your calories consist if, you will still lose weight if you are eating less calories than you consume. But the nutrition is important for feeling good in terms of energy, etc. I wouldn't worry about the protein, because this sites default amount of protein is kinda low especially if you are working out. Most people suggest 1g to 1.5g of protein a day per pound of body weight. As for the fat, it is important that the fat you eat is mostly healthy fat. Saturated or solid fats like butter and shortening are worse than oils from nuts, seeds, and other plants.
  • dcgonz
    dcgonz Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I pay attention to all of it. I find the MFP set's your protien too low and your carbs and fat too high. I eat 40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fat. You can adjust these in your settings for what's right for you.
    Your protien is probably just fine it's the fat you need to worry about. While your body requires fat to survive you need to look at what kinds of fats you are eating. Good fats vs. Bad. For example, avocados, olive oil, nuts are good fats as opposed to bad fats which are saturated fats (butter, red meats, etc).
    It takes time but try different things out each day until you can get your numbers as close as possible.
  • punk_mama
    Options
    I try to pay attention to everything. If you are over with calorie and it's not that many, just do a quick workout or take a walk after diner (or whatever) and burn off the extra plus more.
    It might be good to make your food diary visible, then if you want, people can make suggestion to help.
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I usually don't pay too much attention to Protein and fat, but it's so far over. I went to costco and had a salad for lunch and I think they only reduced the calories, not the fat and protein from not eating the dressing and the croûtons. I will not stress about it.

I'm still a bit nervous about sharing my food diary so thanks for being patient with me! I'm working on it! :)
  • Wilfred808
    Wilfred808 Posts: 113
    Options
    dont be scared about going over in fat and protein. i know the number turns red when you go over, but its completely fine. the only thing that will make you gain weight is going over your calories. protein and fat are very good for you (google the health benefits of dietary fat if you dont believe me). the protein will help preserve muscle while on your cut
  • Wilfred808
    Wilfred808 Posts: 113
    Options
    and to the lady claiming sat fat is bad for you... thats been disproven, it doesnt increase your risk of heart disease or anything like that. artificial trans fats are the only type of fat you need to avoid.

i can post pubmed links if you want
  • ali_burns
    Options
    Protein, Protein, Protein especially if you are trying to lose weight.