Can I do it?

Options
Hello all....very new to MFP. Just signed up today. I'm at my heaviest weight I have ever been at in my life. I've been recovering from some medical issues that had forced me to bedridden for a year...and has til now limited my ability to exercise like I used to. Therefore I have gained weight like mad. So here I am...now I'm up on feet again realizing that I have to lose this weight. I'm tired of feeling like I do every morning and want to be able to enjoy outings with my kids. I know my biggest problem is exercise..but it's very difficult for me to do aerobics and brisk walking due to my medical issue with my feet and legs. So I'm hoping I can do this.....because I have to do this.

Replies

• daniran
    daniran Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hi welcome to mfp! I sent you a friend request. let me know if I can do anything for you.
  • sixxbaby
    sixxbaby Posts: 543
    Options
    welcome, and it sounds like you have had a rough time, but today is a new day, you can do it, feel free to add me!!
  • dcgonz
    dcgonz Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You CAN do it!! I'm not sure what your medical issues are but start slow. You don't have to start out at full speed, work out to the best of your ablility. Walk a block, then next week two blocks, etc. Just Do It as they saying goes. Any movement at all is better than nothing. If you start off slow you won't get as discourage and you will find yourself getting stronger and stronger each day, week, month. Then you can start increasing your activity levels.

I think that's where a lot of people make their mistake. They think they have to go all out the first time they start excercising or do some advanced workout. That's not how it works. If you have been bedridden for a year, don't expect you are going to be able to jump and run right away. You have to slowly build up those muscles.

You can do it, it's all a matter of mental toughness.

Good Luck!
    Diana

**Feel free to add me as a friend**
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Get a gym membership with a pool. If your legs are a problem, swimming is seriously your best bet. You can use mostly your arms or you might be able to use your legs since it's lower impact. You may also find your condition gets better as you lose weight.
  • changeisgood55
    Options
    Welcome! It sounds like you have had it rough but you're on the right track by wanting to change your life. Just take one day at a time and know we are here to support you. Feel free to friend me if you like. Good luck!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Get a gym membership with a pool. If your legs are a problem, swimming is seriously your best bet. You can use mostly your arms or you might be able to use your legs since it's lower impact. You may also find your condition gets better as you lose weight.

I agree. If you can afford a gym with a pool that is the best way to get started. That's what I did after a blood clot left me bed bound for 6 months. If you need another friend just let me know! Hugs!
  • UmNoor5
    UmNoor5 Posts: 4
    Options
    Wow...thank you everyone for the encouragement! Definately a huge motivation factor for me. My medical issues consist of major nerve damage due to an epidural that left me paralyzed from the waist down for a year. I have slowly regained feeling in my left leg, but my right leg/foot is still numb not allowing me to maneuver around like before. But everyday I try to get out and do as much as I can. Now I have a comfortable place to come when I get discouraged! Thank you everyone!
  • sinulae
    sinulae Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi I have similar probs physically but by staying within the allowed calories and with very little exercise I am managing to lose about 1lb a week I have recently started doing a little swimming with my grandaughter as I can just about manage that and it doesn't cause the physical strain to my body that normal exercise would so go for it.
    Sinulae:flowerforyou: