Looking for advice/inspiration

Options
New to this and got a goal but how are we going to get there, we have had false starts as in we have lost a little but not got to our target.

So both my wife and I need to lose a fair chunk of weight for health and also for fertility. We were married in 2014. She was just over 12 stone and i was around the same. She had previously lost 5 stone and since the wedding has now put that back on. I never used to be more than 12 stone but am now in an office job so am nearly 15 stone. So i need to lose 3 stone and she needs to lose around 5 stone.

We have booked a mega luxury holiday to mexico in September so now only 6 months away.

i really want to do this and when she was in the mindset and lost all the weight for the wedding she looked fab and was so determined it was amazing.

She does not seem to be able to find that determination at the moment and nor do i but i am so unhappy with the way i look i need and we need to get started i want to be the strong one.

How much could we lose before our holiday and does anyone have any stories of weight lose quick as a couple?

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Quick weight loss is not something anyone should be aiming for, first of all. Fast can result in all sorts of unpleasant side effects and consequences. That being said you could lose most of that 3 stone between now and September as long as you're consistently at a reasonable deficit and tracking accurately. I find that determination is a bit like motivation, in that it's kind of fleeting. I look at it as do I really want to be at my goal weight? Then this is what I have to do to get there. I think the best thing you can do is just to start, don't overwhelm yourself with a lot of change but just start.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
  • rdthoms
    rdthoms Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It's a journey. You've got time and a built in accountability partner (if you are both on the same page)! Don't expect or try for super fast results. Figure out your calorie budget and shoot for 10% deficit (no more than 20% for sure). Food is the most important and if you and wife are working this together you'll be able to keep the food in check. For motivation checkout myshape.fitness website which will let you see body shape goals and progress.
  • gabbijean247
    gabbijean247 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    A lot of people talk about calories on here. Under your calorie goal means you’ll lose weight. I like to exercise and I know everyone doesn’t but the more I exercise the more I can eat! It’s motivating for me to know I can have more things I like as long as their in my calories. Also the more I log my food honestly and see myself sticking with it I get motivated knowing I’m capable. I’m not always perfect but even if I slip up I don’t let it ruin my whole day. I’ve switched a few things. Like pastas I now eat whole grain. Which means I can still eat pasta! Ice cream I’ve switched to lower calorie stuff. And I pack veggies even when I don’t feel like it because they don’t have many calories. Meat, veggies, and pasta are my go to meals. Filling and always fit in my diet. Make sure to watch portions so your log is accurate. Sometimes I’ll scan bar codes while shopping that way I avoid buying things I thought were healthy and are actually not so great. And some things I thought were bad are actually okay.
  • steveomc209
    steveomc209 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Many thanks for your comments. I managed to go for a 6km run/walk today which was good. we have a healthy lunch and dinner planned for tomorrow . i am determined to resist snacks such as chocolate at work so will take some kiwi fruit and a banana!