help to sum it all up

Options
im so grateful i came across this forum, I originally came here about learning to add cals and bulk but realise I have been doing everything wrong! possibly due to over researching and information overload.

during my original thread one member made me see an error I've been making for years! it was like a penny drop moment and I feel so stupid.
I think I've been deficiting wrong, please help put it straight. when working out my TDEE which I also think is done wrong! comes out at 1830 maintenance so I've been in a 1530 deficit so I thought. I wear a fit bit HR which tells me cals i burn, so usually I will try to burn 1830 on my fit bit. then yesterday whilst on that thread it was blindingly obvious id been over deficiting haven't i? hope that makes sense lol I do tend to go long way round in explaining.

advice with the TDEE working out please. I'm not sure what activity level I should be adding ? I go gym 2-3 times a week, walk there which is roughly 35mins but bus back. I like to make sure I do at least 30-40min walk every day on non gym days and do light resistance training at home some days like light dumbbells and abs. I looked into the lifting 5x5 programme but it says not to do that on deficit. so cant really work this out. my main goal is to start going gym a definite 3 times a week and do the 3 x full body or split programme if that helps.
I came across the eating too less thread with Mildred pic and got confused with the NEAT stuff? but was a helpful read.

sorry this is long but everything I thought I knew is wrong and its more confusing then ever. i feel like I have to go back to basic and learn from scratch with the correct knowledge . people here have been more than helpful, I do struggle to take in info so bare with me if I repeat. :#

Replies

• angermouse
    angermouse Posts: 102 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    this might seem a silly question but how do you know if you have burned more than cals in if not wearing a hr monitor. I know its only an estimate and not 100% accurate but I think id be worrying if I was burning enough.
    you just go by weighing and tracking?

the excessive deficit has been accidental and now I know I will be only sticking to burning 1530 lol
    if I do the 5x5 would it come under light activity? or with my walking on non gym would it be the one up. sorry if these seem dumb but im just learning all this the right way. gonna have a look at the sailrabbit link
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    angermouse wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    this might seem a silly question but how do you know if you have burned more than cals in if not wearing a hr monitor. I know its only an estimate and not 100% accurate but I think id be worrying if I was burning enough.

The particular exercise you do to determines the best way to estimate calories. HR may be good for some people doing some exercise, but the reverse can also be true and it can be wrong by a massive margin.

But with a TDEE estimate you don't need to estimate your exercise on an individual basis anyway - that is taken care of in the general estimate which works out an average for you. You don't need to seek complication.

Keep it simple (that's the main benefit of using the TDEE method)...…
    • Get a number.
    • Eat that number for an extended period of time.
    • Adjust the number if you need to based on your results over that extended period of time.

thanks I guess I have been over complicating things. its my damn drive for perfection, i need to step back and chill abit haha

Easy to do. My mind is my own worst enemy sometimes 🙂
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options

The particular exercise you do to determines the best way to estimate calories. HR may be good for some people doing some exercise, but the reverse can also be true and it can be wrong by a massive margin.

But with a TDEE estimate you don't need to estimate your exercise on an individual basis anyway - that is taken care of in the general estimate which works out an average for you. You don't need to seek complication.

• Get a number.
    • Adjust the number if you need to based on your results over that extended period of time.

thanks I guess I have been over complicating things. its my damn drive for perfection, i need to step back and chill abit haha

I think this happens to everyone when they first start using numbers to lose weight. I mean, all our lives Math has been something that's predictable and there-is-one-answer. Weight loss is a little fuzzier as far as the Exact Numbers.

The things I can control: Tracking my food intake as accurately as I can. Using a food scale and eating 90% of my meals prepared by me, therefore eliminating most errors in logging.

Weighing my body. Keeping in mind the general trend and not worrying so much about the daily fluctuations. Weight-trending apps are good for this.

Getting some exercise. It's not really possible to calculate exactly how many calories per day I'm expending with my exercise, but I can get close enough if I log it the same way each time and use the results of my weight changes as a guide.

The rest of the minutiae I had to let go.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Let’s start with questions to make sure everything is clear.

What are your stats and your goal?

What does your FitBit day your total calories burned average is, for the last month, 3 months, etc.

How many calories have you been eating? How accurate has your logging been?

What’s your weight actually been doing during that time - up, down or the same?
  • angermouse
    Options

• Get a number.

I think this happens to everyone when they first start using numbers to lose weight. I mean, all our lives Math has been something that's predictable and there-is-one-answer. Weight loss is a little fuzzier as far as the Exact Numbers.

The things I can control: Tracking my food intake as accurately as I can. Using a food scale and eating 90% of my meals prepared by me, therefore eliminating most errors in logging.

Weighing my body. Keeping in mind the general trend and not worrying so much about the daily fluctuations. Weight-trending apps are good for this.

Getting some exercise. It's not really possible to calculate exactly how many calories per day I'm expending with my exercise, but I can get close enough if I log it the same way each time and use the results of my weight changes as a guide.

thanks, I do burn myself out mentally with it all. I have body dysmorphia so its a constant thing in my mind to get it right and perfect. worrying if my macros are correct especially.

I do weigh/log everything, even down to lettuce!! yes I know silly. :s I cook everything from scratch also so I know whats in it.
  • Stellamom2018
    Stellamom2018 Posts: 120 Member
    Options

• Get a number.

thanks, I do burn myself out mentally with it all. I have body dysmorphia so its a constant thing in my mind to get it right and perfect. worrying if my macros are correct especially.

I do weigh/log everything, even down to lettuce!! yes I know silly. :s I cook everything from scratch also so I know whats in it.

I dont think this is silly. I weigh absolutely everything that goes into my mouth from lettuce to peanut butter to chocolate chips to goldfish force fed from my toddler :)

I've had my fitbit (versa) for a year and my calorie burn is basically spot on. I've lost 60lbs now and I use the burn to tighten up my calorie goals now that I'm down to the last 15ish lbs.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

• Get a number.

Oh, I weigh low calorie foods like lettuce and broccoli in order to eat MORE of them ;)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

What does your FitBit day your total calories burned average is, for the last month, 3 months, etc.

@angermouse you may be over-thinking again - do answer these questions.
  • angermouse
    Options

sorry I hadn't seen this post.
    im not sure of my goal, I originally, as most people. always thought that the skinnier I get the better I will look. my goal once used to be 50kg! but when I got there I was devastated with what I see in the mirror and realised I didn't want to be skinny. I decided I wanted to get strong and defined instead. but its been a journey mentally.

im 5'5'' 53kg

I eat 1530 give or take abit.

my logging is on point. I weigh everything and cook meals from scratch. I don't eat out either.

my weight has been dropping, went up over xmas period though. but since mid jan ive been back to healthy eating and regular gym.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

im not sure of my goal, I originally, as most people. always thought that the skinnier I get the better I will look. my goal once used to be 50kg! but when I got there I was devastated with what I see in the mirror and realised I didn't want to be skinny. I decided I wanted to get strong and defined instead. but its been a journey mentally.

im 5'5'' 53kg

my logging is on point. I weigh everything and cook meals from scratch. I don't eat out either.

my weight has been dropping, went up over xmas period though. but since mid jan ive been back to healthy eating and regular gym.

Ok so your goal is to lose weight. A small amount, meaning you can expect loss to be slow. Roughly 0.25 kg/week would be reasonable.

You didn’t answer the question about what FitBit says your total calorie burn is. Not what you’re eating but what the device says you burn - which is an estimate of your TDEE or maintenance cals.

You’ve been losing steadily —at what weekly rate?
  • angermouse
    Options

im 5'5'' 53kg

Ok so your goal is to lose weight. A small amount, meaning you can expect loss to be slow. Roughly 0.25 kg/week would be reasonable.

You didn’t answer the question about what FitBit says your total calorie burn is. Not what you’re eating but what the device says you burn - which is an estimate of your TDEE or maintenance cals.

im 5'5'' 53kg

it was to lose weight at one point but now Im aiming for more tone but wanted to get my bf down to 20% before maintaining, but another member says recomp can be done now.

sorry I thought id put fitbit burn in top post. I aimed and mostly did burn above 1800 but as I say id been over burning.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,610 Member
    Options
    You do need to concentrate on @WinoGelato 's questions!

Last 30 days from your Fitbit stats... what is your Fitbit daily burn (last 60/90 would be good data too but maybe harder to get)

Do you log food every day? What did you eat during the same time period in terms of total calories according to your logging?

Weight change: if you plug all the numbers for your weigh in into Fitbit on the correct dates and you connect trendweigh.com to your Fitbit account... how did your trending weight change during the past 30 days?

Sounds like you want to MAINTAIN your current weight with small changes and engage in some weight training to be stronger.
  • angermouse
    Options
    im going to have to put a hold on this at the moment. got some personal stuff happening and need to put my fitness on hold til I can put full mind to it. ill be back soon.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,610 Member
    Options
    Hopefully you will find a way to include aspects of fitness in life and sufficient life in fitness in some sort of symbiotic long term consistent balance in the not too distant future :)
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options

im 5'5'' 53kg

im 5'5'' 53kg

it was to lose weight at one point but now Im aiming for more tone but wanted to get my bf down to 20% before maintaining, but another member says recomp can be done now.

sorry I thought id put fitbit burn in top post. I aimed and mostly did burn above 1800 but as I say id been over burning.

What do you mean by over burning? A high TDEE is a good thing, trying to burn 1800 via exercise isn't. Why aim for a TDEE, just do you're everyday activities + exercise, let your TDEE lead you.
  • angermouse
    Options
    hi im able to get back on track now. sorry I had to leave the thread for a while.

@debrag12 this is why I started the thread to check I was working out right. I wasn't sure if I was over burning? my maintenance says around 1800 so I cut 300 for fat loss. so I was aiming to eat in the 15-1600 range. but what I think ive done wrong is then work out/exercise to make sure I burn 1800, what Im trying to figure out is if I have taken 300 off already doesn't that mean I should be looking at burning 15-1600? as im eating 300 less than I should???