ELLIPTICAL USERS.....

Options
Hi everyone.. or ladies!!! Lol, I was wondering if you have LOST weight using the elliptical as your main cardio excercise? Some people have said they're thighs / legs bulked.. which I don't want.

Any successful stories with using the elliptical? I'm starting to get tired of the treadmill..

Replies

• gympamela
    gympamela Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the elliptical!!! Burns tons of cals! never heard of it bulking up anyone's legs before, though!
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the elliptical!!! Burns tons of cals! never heard of it bulking up anyone's legs before, though!

was/is this your main cardio source of excercise?? thanks for the response!
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical. Before becoming pregnant I was in the shape of my life. I BEAT a cardio test at a local gym that had never been beaten before. How was my body so fit? I did intervals on the elliptical. I repeat - I love, love, love the elliptical. Did I have bulky legs? Nopers! I was 5'8" at 128-130 lbs even with using heavy resistance and the lower half of my body has always been petite. What am I trying to say by this? It takes more than an elliptical to bulk up your legs - and it really does depend on your genes as well. BTW did I mention that I love the elliptical?
  • gympamela
    gympamela Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have always used the elliptical as my main source of cardio- the only thing I do on the treadmill is walk after my workout (my face gets red as a tomato when I work out, I need a good cooldown!)
    i will get on the stepmill every once in awhile, but I havent in forever!
    Im with hails- best thing ever!!!
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Couldn't have lost my weight without my elliptical. Oh, and MFP of course! Yes, it was my only source of cardio.
  • lpeacock06
    lpeacock06 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I lost no wt doing the elliptical..... Since I've been doing bootcamp 2x per wk along w/ other exercises for the rest of the wk (4-5 x per wk) I've lost over 5 lbs in a month.... I quit the wt machines too b/c I can't find time w/ all the other stuff ...... But I did startvwatching what I eat better!
  • mgaither
    mgaither Posts: 115
    Options
    Never be afraid to change things up!

The elliptical is just like any other cardio machine in the gym...you get out what you put in. Cardio is (essentially) cardio - burning calories and strengthening your heart.

I use it on occasion. I'm sure you'll enjoy throwing it in the mix too! :)
  • GreenSkinnyJeans
    GreenSkinnyJeans Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Haha I never lost weight using the elliptical, and I did it for about 3 months, at least 3 times a week for 30 minutes.
    My thighs are In great shape, they're just naturally big. But I at least don't have cellulite :D.
  • lucyobrien
    Options
    I've been doing the elliptical for 30 min 4 x a week for the past 5 weeks - I'm not bulking at all, my cellulite is vanishing before my eyes. I LOVE the elliptical!
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I like the elliptical, but it's definitely not my only source of cardio. I generally do 40 to 60 minutes on the elliptical 2 or 3 times a week. I also do running intervals on the treadmill, the rowing machine, and the step-mill. And I do weight training 2 to 3 days a week also. I think really mixing it up gives great results for both weight loss and improved fitness.
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Love the elliptical and it helps shrink/tone my thighs, faster than most of the other machines/exercises that I've tried.
  • shybelle
    shybelle Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have lost the majority of my weight using the elliptical. I have changed it up some now, but for the frist 5 months I only did the elliptical.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    don't worry about it bulking your thighs.... really doubt it will happen unless you are predisposed by genetics are are using level 12 and above the whole time (and that probably still wouldn't do it).

the elliptical is a great machine for a good cardio workout, especially if you use the arms too.

i use it on occasion. prefer to do whatever i can outside along with mixing it with yoga.

have fun!
  • hillaryreid
    Options
    I loved the elliptical! Thats the only machine I would use at the gym. If that was taken I would do a 20 min session on the stair master which was a nice mix up some days.

I lost 20 pounds in 3 1/2 months on the elliptical last year!

5 Days a week on level 6-8 for 45 min to an hour.

I really enjoyed the elliptical I think because it had a book stand on it so I was allowed to read soooooo many great books while working out. Very enjoyable if you dont get motion sickness from reading. And it totally kills time and you dont even know you are working out half the time. Highly reccommend it!

Good luck! :happy:
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Put me in the 'love the elliptical' club! I suffered a bad knee injury in June. Torn MCL, ACL and Meniscus and now that I am in physical therapy my PT says elliptical and bike only and no treadmill. I was very happy that I get to do elliptical. I burn uber calories on it and get a great cardio workout, oh and I've lost weight with it and MFP.
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    :bigsmile: I absolutely love, love, love the Elliptical Trainer....I also have a bad knee so it is a perfect alternative to running for me. I just started using it at the beginning of August and I have lost 7lbs...I also use the bike trainer, and workout at home doing things like jumping jacks, squat kicks, squat jumps, crunches...etc...I wouldn't worry about it bulking your legs up...you would really have to be on a high resistance over a very long period of time and even then I don't see that happening unless you are predisposed to having big thigh muscles...