Replies

• AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great info!
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    @heybales @frankqp Thanks for sharing your experience.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    It’s helpful for me as I resurrect being a fun runner. Today I did ru 5:05 walk 0:55 for 10 rounds in 60 minutes covering 5.69 miles. Interesting is that my best 60 minutes distance using this method was 5.79 miles when I did 3:15 run 0:45 walk for 15 rounds.

At age 64, this works for me and in a matter of time, I’ll be running the entire 60 minutes at an improved pace.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I found a good intervals app for my watch and tried this yesterday. The route I chose had a significant uphill stretch so I really appreciated the pacing option, and in the end I was maybe a minute per mile slower than if I'd pushed straight through. If nothing else, it took the edge off of the "dread" feeling when getting started on a longer run. Looking forward to trying it on a flatter stretch and seeing what my overall pace is, as the uphill was a good mile on its own.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I haven't used it myself but there are lots of runners who swear by it. At some the races I do you'll see pace bunnies for both continuous running and run/walk.

I'll be doing my first full marathon in October am considering using it (I've found half marathons are pretty comfortable for running continuously but I'm not exactly fast either)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Not sure what other watches do it - but the Timex Ironman series does allowing creating intervals up to 9 segments, repeat until Stop is hit.

Could use the Garmin interval function most seem to have, or create a workout if that still exists - but then it will make a new lap. Which actually could be useful if you could get an avg of the running segments by themselves.
  • garystrickland357
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Not sure what other watches do it - but the Timex Ironman series does allowing creating intervals up to 9 segments, repeat until Stop is hit.

Could use the Garmin interval function most seem to have, or create a workout if that still exists - but then it will make a new lap. Which actually could be useful if you could get an avg of the running segments by themselves.

The Fenix 5X has a run/walk setting in the run app. I prefer to use a 3rd party app on my phone so it gives me an audio signal through my earbuds. The watch setting just vibrates and I don't always feel it.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I know it isn't the Galloway method, but the 8020 Endurance site has a page of workouts you can download to your Garmin (I have the 3hr).

http://8020endurance.com/8020-workout-library/

These are .fit files you can load onto your watch as training apps.
  • garystrickland357
    Options
    @Tacklewasher Nice! Thanks!
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I got my magic mile on the website (based on my best 1 mile in Garmin Connect), and looking up for that range, it tells me to do 30/30.

I assume that means 30 second run / 30 second walk.

I set my run/walk alert on my fenix 5x to 30/30 and am going to try this on my run today.

Thanks @garystrickland357
  • garystrickland357
    Options
    OldAssDude wrote: »
    I got my magic mile on the website (based on my best 1 mile in Garmin Connect), and looking up for that range, it tells me to do 30/30.

I set my run/walk alert on my fenix 5x to 30/30 and am going to try this on my run today.

I'll be curious to see your results. I bought one of his books. He makes the point that you can try different ratios - they are not carved in stone. The ratios he recommends are just what seem to work well in general. My take away is - try a 4min/1min ratio and see how you like it. Try a 1/1. Try 30sec/30sec.

I like using this method so far. I'm still running some without taking walk breaks. I'm playing now that my training plan is complete. My goal is to maintain my running fitness as I begin to increase my cycling. I want to focus on my cycling over the next few months without losing everything I've gained running.
  • heybales
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Ugh, 30/30 sec - I'd find that way too short.

The acceleration required so frequently to get back up to faster pace for form improvement I'd think would stress the tendon/ligament system more than a tad, rather than just longer.
    Or you accelerate so slowly you only have about 15-20 seconds at true faster pace before slowing down again.

My time based ratio's actually come from a chart from how to run constantly from a walking start within so many weeks - pre-dates the C25K method by years.

And even that was based on an earlier idea 30-40 yrs ago where the walk/run ratio changed based on amount of weight to lose - idea being you walk more the more weight to lose - so as not to stress out the joints when carrying more than desired. As lbs are lost you keep running more.
    I've heard of many that really enjoyed the running when heavier as they lost weight - but they took a pounding that negatively effected them later and they wished they had taken it easier because now they enjoyed it, but couldn't do it as much.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Interesting! I've never heard of this method, but it sounds kind of like what I've been doing on my own and I'm definitely not a runner. In fact I hate running so much. But on the treadmill I will walk 3 min/run 3/walk 3 etc for about 40 minutes total. When the weather is better I'll follow it outside.
    It works for me.
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    Ugh, 30/30 sec - I'd find that way too short.

The acceleration required so frequently to get back up to faster pace for form improvement I'd think would stress the tendon/ligament system more than a tad, rather than just longer.
    Or you accelerate so slowly you only have about 15-20 seconds at true faster pace before slowing down again.

My time based ratio's actually come from a chart from how to run constantly from a walking start within so many weeks - pre-dates the C25K method by years.

And even that was based on an earlier idea 30-40 yrs ago where the walk/run ratio changed based on amount of weight to lose - idea being you walk more the more weight to lose - so as not to stress out the joints when carrying more than desired. As lbs are lost you keep running more.
    I've heard of many that really enjoyed the running when heavier as they lost weight - but they took a pounding that negatively effected them later and they wished they had taken it easier because now they enjoyed it, but couldn't do it as much.

looking on the site, it looks like the slower the pace in the magic mile, the shorter the intervals, and the shorter the run interval...

j3papszpccg1.png

I used 12:15-14:30 for my magic mile and chose to do the 30/30. I think the strategy is to do another trial every 2 weeks and then use the scale to determine what intervals to use.

As your pace improves, you can move up the scale to the longer run intervals and shorter walk intervals.

Or am I missing something?
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    OldAssDude wrote: »

I'll be curious to see your results. I bought one of his books. He makes the point that you can try different ratios - they are not carved in stone. The ratios he recommends are just what seem to work well in general. My take away is - try a 4min/1min ratio and see how you like it. Try a 1/1. Try 30sec/30sec.

I like using this method so far. I'm still running some without taking walk breaks. I'm playing now that my training plan is complete. My goal is to maintain my running fitness as I begin to increase my cycling. I want to focus on my cycling over the next few months without losing everything I've gained running.

I just did it using the 30/30...

o76ghsdw3wf7.png

ri3um1hblz9e.png

3weyrqypsm2o.png

9q8wav71o5d7.png

And here is the activity in Garmin connect...

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3440283498

Pretty good results I think.

I was hitting it fairly hard on the run intervals, but still had enough juice to get all 46 intervals in.

I can see how this could be helpful, and this activity set new personal bests in GC for both 1 mile, and 5k for me.
  • heybales
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Perhaps his focus is different, not sure.

I'm thinking about not only making the training not so stressful, but still to train the aerobic system for best endurance, and in fact possible usage in an endurance event.

If the run intervals turn into something much faster than normal pace - they'll be using a higher ratio of carbs instead of fat - that's a killer for endurance, or endurance training for that matter. Even if you are intervaling the running.
    The walking already has decent fat usage while very aerobic - but if the running is at so much more than aerobic pace, like actual intervals for training the VO2 or AT/LT systems - it's training the carb burning system, and improving lactate clearing ability.
    So still some purpose to it, not a waste of time, some good benefit.

But for my purpose of endurance, I do specific intervals for that differently, but want the run/walk intervals for endurance still.

Does he have suggestions at what pace the 30 sec run is supposed to be?
    Like at max pace that still allows recovery during the 30 sec walk, or just slightly faster than normal pace?

Your pace looks nice and consistent though, held throughout the entire thing, so I'm guessing not interval training in nature. Though slightly increasing HR throughout showed it was becoming a stress at that pace.
    https://exrx.net/Aerobic/IntervalTraining

I'll have to see if I can find a good run without a bunch of hills messing up the graphs, and give the link.
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    Perhaps his focus is different, not sure.

I'm thinking about not only making the training not so stressful, but still to train the aerobic system for best endurance, and in fact possible usage in an endurance event.

If the run intervals turn into something much faster than normal pace - they'll be using a higher ratio of carbs instead of fat - that's a killer for endurance, or endurance training for that matter. Even if you are intervaling the running.
    The walking already has decent fat usage while very aerobic - but if the running is at so much more than aerobic pace, like actual intervals for training the VO2 or AT/LT systems - it's training the carb burning system, and improving lactate clearing ability.
    So still some purpose to it, not a waste of time, some good benefit.

But for my purpose of endurance, I do specific intervals for that differently, but want the run/walk intervals for endurance still.

Does he have suggestions at what pace the 30 sec run is supposed to be?
    Like at max pace that still allows recovery during the 30 sec walk, or just slightly faster than normal pace?

Your pace looks nice and consistent though, held throughout the entire thing, so I'm guessing not interval training in nature. Though slightly increasing HR throughout showed it was becoming a stress at that pace.
    https://exrx.net/Aerobic/IntervalTraining

I'll have to see if I can find a good run without a bunch of hills messing up the graphs, and give the link.

Well yeah. If I would have done the run intervals slower, it would have been like an easy run which I probably could have maintained for a half marathon distance easier than running the whole way.

I think this method brings value to both long easy runs and speed work.
  • garystrickland357
    Options
    If you follow what Galloway suggests, your heart rate should be low. He has a "no huffing and puffing" rule. It simply means your runs should allow "conversational pace". It shouldn't be confused with interval training where high effort segments are followed by recovery periods - these are two different beasts.

The last 10 mile run I made I stayed in zone 1 for over 90% of the run, just barely getting into zone 2 at times. I was using a 4:1 run/walk interval. As I posted earlier, it was my fastest 10 mile run at my lowest heart rate.
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    If you follow what Galloway suggests, your heart rate should be low. He has a "no huffing and puffing" rule. It simply means your runs should allow "conversational pace". It shouldn't be confused with interval training where high effort segments are followed by recovery periods - these are two different beasts.

The last 10 mile run I made I stayed in zone 1 for over 90% of the run, just barely getting into zone 2 at times. I was using a 4:1 run/walk interval. As I posted earlier, it was my fastest 10 mile run at my lowest heart rate.

Yeah, I did turn it into an interval run, but I have not done any real speed work in a while, and got carried away.

I do understand the value of it for long distance runs though, and I will do my next long run using this method to see if I can get some more distance.