That 8 Minute Mile

Options
2»

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    " run a sub-10 minute 10K you should be able to handle one 8 minute mile." A sub 10 minute 10K is quite an achievement, no? ;-)

:) I definitely didn't mean to imply it was easy. But neither is an 8 minute mile.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    pondee629 wrote: »
    " run a sub-10 minute 10K you should be able to handle one 8 minute mile." A sub 10 minute 10K is quite an achievement, no? ;-)

:) I definitely didn't mean to imply it was easy. But neither is an 8 minute mile.

I think you missed their joke. You said "a sub 10 minute 10K", not "a 10K at a sub 10 minute per mile pace". Running 10K in under 10 minutes total (not per mile) would be quite an achievement, like running 37.2 mph for 10 minutes if my math is correct.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    For shorter distances, I noticed my pace dropped significantly (from ~9:45 to ~7:50 for a 5k) after adding in strength training 3x/week and adding in some short sprints once a week. I’m not running now, but I was shocked at what a difference that extra lower body muscle made, even with me running less often. Granted I would average about 9 min/mile over a 5k, so I can’t speak to endurance + speed.
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I ran a 5k today, it made me think of this thread as I PBed it with a time of 27:14 which is 8:37 minute miles...

My mind is actually blown by the fact that I can run a 5k at a pace that starts with an 8... :bigsmile:

The last time I did a chip timed 5k was in 2016 and my time was 30:33.

All I wanted to do when I started running was run a 10 minute mile, and now here I am with the 8s! I've been running for 4 years, the first 2 of them very inconsistently, the last 2 consistently training for 3 or 4 races a year, 10ks and half marathons.

I only started doing speed work once a week in February, so pretty much all my miles are slow and easy.

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Congratulations! That's a fantastic result. What a way to PB over your last race!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I ran a 5k today, it made me think of this thread as I PBed it with a time of 27:14 which is 8:37 minute miles...

My mind is actually blown by the fact that I can run a 5k at a pace that starts with an 8... :bigsmile:

All I wanted to do when I started running was run a 10 minute mile, and now here I am with the 8s! I've been running for 4 years, the first 2 of them very inconsistently, the last 2 consistently training for 3 or 4 races a year, 10ks and half marathons.

I only started doing speed work once a week in February, so pretty much all my miles are slow and easy.

Congratulations! That's a fantastic result. What a way to PB over your last race!

Thanks! I did a park run in January, and got a time of 28:48 So I was hoping for around 28:30 as the park run was short, but am absolutely delighted with my time!
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great info!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Congrats! That feeling of "I can't believe I just did that..." is so motivating! All of your hard work has paid off!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Speed work can increase the risk of injury for newer runners, but for those runners who have enough mileage under their belts, it is very helpful. Since focusing on longer course racing last year, I stopped speed work in favor of more distance focused training.

What I've learned is to run fast you must train fast and while longer runs are part of building a base, you got to put time in running faster. What I"m currently doing is taking a run walk run approach getting in one hour of running this way. I've had best results doing 3 minutes running and one minute walking rounds because the 3 minute runs can be at that faster pace. Compare this to runs I've done using 5 minutes running and one minute walking. One hour later, the distance covered is less than when doing it 3 minutes running and one minute walking because of run speed.

Don't know if this helps but just wanted to share my two cents. Good luck.

p.s. I'm age 64 and it's definitely harder jumping back on the running saddle and reclaiming some pace speed from the good olden and younger days.

nlmackey98 wrote: »
    I also had to become comfortable with discomfort. Finding that point just beyond comfortable that you can sustain takes mental fortitude and knowledge of what your body can do. These are also things you need to practice.

Once every 2 weeks, I'd do a "trial race" each time with a different focus, lower HR, faster climbs, negative splits, go out fast and then ease into it, different fuels, whatever. For running this was a set 8 mile loop. Sometimes I blew up, sometimes I couldn't find my rhythm, sometimes the "goal" just didn't fit my running style, but I always learned something. Once a month I went and tried to kill it. I learned what my strong suits were, that I knew how to push and how to attack a race course. I'd put this knowledge to work at local races. I'm super competitive, and I mostly knew who I should beat and who I wanted to beat.

All of these stood out to me, and applied to me gaining back speed I had lost over years of not running much if at all. Note that I am not running marathon distances (never have) but have trained up to about 15 mile distances.

And not to go against the grain, as I know a lot of input here comes from accomplished runners. But both in my younger years and now I got quicker with very little running, but mostly doing other things to work on my cardio base and for strength/speed work. I like exercise in general, but never really loved running the way some do. I could do it, but a swim or bike ride, hike or.... well just about anything was usually more fun to me except for rare occasions when I enjoy a run.

When I was younger in my military days, running was easy. I ran what I had to for training and little more. My only half marathon was completed just quicker than 8 mile pace, and the last 10k I ran with friends as a group supporting the slowest guy for most of it, and still ran in the 7 minute pace. Twenty some years after I got out of the military, speed was harder to come by. I could run up to about 10k at a 10 mile pace within months of exercising more again, but improving on that was slow at first.

I still rarely run. I have some lower back issues and elliptical, biking, uphill jogs, etc are easier on the back than any distance runs. But after some time with intense intervals on the elliptical, pushing higher paces longer on the bike, etc the speed started coming. In actual running I still suck at proper pacing, and always did. And I haven't quite matched my last 10k time. But I got close enough to call it there. And I probably ran less than 100 miles last year.

Something that is very vital for me is an aspect that @nlmackey98 brought up. Finding a way to be comfortable being uncomfortable is a must for me. That and the part of knowing my strengths and weaknesses is a big part of the game. And for me fortunately one of the strengths is that mental game. When I find myself gassed, dropping pace, wanting to shorten a workout, etc, I can just usually revert back to the younger days of military training, put my head back in the game, and suck it up.

And another point that was made by @lporter229 is very important IMO. You have to be quick at shorter distances and build with time and volume to support the longer distances. I actually started down in th 2-3 mile equivalent distances on my elliptical to up pace, and then over time added miles.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Saw my son's high school and cross country coach at a high school meet last that my son and I went to, 20 years after his high school running "career". My son was a 1,600 meter and 3,200 meter runner in high school and a decent one at it. He's always said how he could have been better had he done more upper body exercise work. The typical training approach his coach put him through back then was run, run and run more, then perhaps a set of pushups at the end of it all.

In talking to the coach, he acknowledged how he's now having his runners do more upper body work and even spending days on the exercise bicycle rather than another run. He acknowledged he's having good results with this different approach, less athlete injuries and better race performance. He had two sisters who made it to the state meet. The event we attended is what's called sections, leading to the state meet. I saw his "girls" run and they were spectacular.

So, running is a whole body movement and that upper body needs to be strong. My two cent share this morning.
  • Joanna_77
    Joanna_77 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Has anyone mentioned fartleks yet?
  • mranlett
    mranlett Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm a 42 year old guy with no serious running beyond gym class in middle school, high school, and college. I spent about two years after the birth of my son a decade ago getting into better shape - including running a marathon. I ran my marathon with a 4 hour 30 minute target pace and was on track until I hurt myself in the back half (finished it, but it took me more than 6 hours to cross that line). Right after I recovered from that run, I was playing soccer with friends and tore my ACL. That caused me to quit all exercise for 6 years, during which time I gained back all that weight I lost and basically reset the fitness clock.

I do most of my running these days on a treadmill in an OrangeTheory gym. The classes are 1 hour long, with either 14 or 23 minutes spent on the treadmill (excluding warm-up time) depending on the size of the class. The treadmill portions are either endurance workouts (longer running blocks), power workouts (faster but shorter running blocks), or strength workouts (running up hills) or a mix of the three types. I've been going to this OrangeTheory Fitness gym for nearly 2 years, with almost no outdoor running at all. I've managed to use the class to improve my running times from unable to consistently run a single mile to now I'm able to run a mile in under 6 minutes! I'm faster than I've ever been, including my high school gym class days. I can run a 5k in under 23 minutes on the treadmill and I've run a local charity 5k in about 24 minutes outdoors. This is without any outdoor practice or long runs beyond what the gym class does.

TL;DR - don't overthink it. Run some longer runs, run some shorter faster spints. Add hills! The key is consistency of practice.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Some of it depends on your age and genetics and how many years you've been running. I can do an 8 minute mile when I'm doing speed intervals of 400 m. to 1200 m. That is slightly slower than my supposed 5k pace. (I haven't raced a 5k in years, but McMillan translates my HM time to a 7:54 5k pace). I will probably never be able to do that pace for anything longer than 5k. Improvement comes easily the first few years you run, but after 7 years, it is a lot harder to get significantly faster. At 62, I'm limited in what my body can do. I have BQed in my last three marathons, so I know I am fit for my age, but that doesn't mean I'll ever be able to improve my MP that much. I've gone from a 10 minute mile to a 9:10 mm at marathon distance over the past 5 years, but another minute is extremely unlikely.

That said, I did improve a lot by running more miles during my training, running more long runs (10 over 16 miles during my 18 week marathon training), doing more long tempo runs to improve stamina (the ability to hold the pace), doing more speed intervals and weekly strides, and doing race pace miles during my long runs.