Confused by calorie allowance..

Options
Sorry if you have seen this type of question a lot.
I am 5.8 and now weigh 170, in 9 weeks I have lost 12lb. I push myself to do 10,000 steps a day by going out for long walk in evening as I sit all day, and now am running 25min 3 x week. I am on 1370 calls a day and then eat my exercise given from running on those 3 days. I go on holiday in 5weeks and would love to keep losing but worried I am doing something wrong as a lot of people drop weight a lot quicker than I am doing. Any tips/ advice welcome? Thank you

Replies

• angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 8 181lbs started on the 14th January lost 11lbs to date do your doing great keep it up :)
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Btw i'd be dead on 1370 I'm eating 1500 a day and losing but I'm not logging exercise so may be around the same as you depending on how many exercise cals your earning/eating back
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I am 5.8 and now weigh 170, in 9 weeks I have lost 12lb. I push myself to do 10,000 steps a day by going out for long walk in evening as I sit all day, and now am running 25min 3 x week. I am on 1370 calls a day and then eat my exercise given from running on those 3 days. I go on holiday in 5weeks and would love to keep losing but worried I am doing something wrong as a lot of people drop weight a lot quicker than I am doing. Any tips/ advice welcome? Thank you

The people I see dropping weight fast also regain it fast, but don't talk about that ;)

What's your goal weight? You are losing at a sustainable and healthy rate now, but as you get closer to goal you'll want to drop it to a pound a week, and then a half pound per week.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options

Lots of people who drop weight quickly do so by unsustainable dieting. It works great in the short term, and for their "wow" before and after Facebook post. But then most of them end up gaining it back because once they stop with their extreme dieting, they don't have the tools to sustain the weight loss.

Be proud of what you have accomplished so far, and appreciate that you are doing so in a way that builds better long term habits to keep the weight off once you lose it.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Great job on the weight-loss so far! It’s very sustainable. Weight-loss is a marathon, not a sprint and you’re doing an awesome job!

Really heavy people will lose weight faster and people using unsafe techniques will also lose fast. A pound a week is terrific. You really don’t have a lot of weight to lose so .5-1 pound per week is perfect. The closer you get to goal, the more slowly it will come off.

My advice would be:
    * Use a weight-trending program and weigh daily. It’ll help you understand how your body responds to thinks like hormones, exercise, and food and will (after about a month of data) predictbyour future weight trend. They’re free: Happy Scale is for iPhone and Libra works for Android users.

* Make sure your loggingbis right. Weigh all solids (including pre-packaged foods like frozen foods, eggs, yogurt, slices of bread, and pieces of cheese) and make sure you select correct entries in the database—compare them to the food label. Create your own entries if needed. And double check entires from time to time as manufacturers can change ingredients and portion sizes. Just because it was correct once, doesn’t mean it will always be correct. And use measuring cups and spoons for all liquids.

* Keep up the great work—and don’t worry about what other people are doing or not doing. You do you, boo! :smiley:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

12 Lbs in 9 weeks is plenty fast. The people you see losing weight rapidly are typically obese/morbidly obese which you are not, so you can't expect to lose at the same rate...you don't have the fat stores. The other group that loses weight more quickly are the ones that starve themselves.
  • Vermontnj
    Vermontnj Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion, check the information listed for your food entry. Not all are accorat. You need to look at all the numbers for each entry. ]