Hypoglycemia meal plan

Options
Is there any meal plans besides Keto that work well for hypoglycemic people? I’ve been part of the healthy lifestyle group for about a year now and still haven’t found the right plan to help me stabilize my blood sugar. Any suggestions?

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to your doctor and/or a registered dietician about your dietary needs?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Have you talked to your doctor and/or a registered dietician about your dietary needs?

Ya, I would get a referral from my doctor to a registered dietitian.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about reactive hypoglycemia? Actual hypoglycemia usually only occurs in (usually type 1) diabetics who have given themselves too much insulin and need glucose to avoid death.

Keto and low car are effective for reactive hypoglycemia. If one eats more carbs, fibrous carbs are often helpful in slowing BG changes.

Others manage it by eating every hour or two, but I'm not a fan of that for myself.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I don’t do keto, and I manage just fine. The biggest things that helped me was always making sure my meals had some sort of protein with it, and making sure I got enough protein every day. For example, for breakfast I’m still going to eat that pop tart, but now I also drink two cups of milk with it for 20+ g of protein and I don’t get shaky later. I also try to snack on higher protein foods like eggs, Greek yogurt, low fat string cheese etc. Its not always easy to manage, sometimes I get caught off guard and forget and crash hard so I always try to keep a Gu or sugary snack nearby in emergencies.You don’t have to be keto, but protein does help. Enjoy your carbs 🙂!
    My diary is always open if you want to check out how I eat. Weekends are usually a bit goofy for me, but I stay pretty consistent during the weekdays. I’ve been in maintance but log just to keep an eye on my protein levels and make sure I hit my macros.