Do meal replacement drinks work

Options
13»

Replies

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I did the SlimFast diet years ago, but decided that I was tired of feeling like I wanted to eat my left arm after about 30 mins..lol. I did lose weight, but it came right back once I started eating normally again.
    I also have a coworker who has drank the Walmart brand slimfast shakes off and on for years for lunches, and he's about 100 pounds overweight. Has been the entire 7 years I have known him
  • jlbtnc
    jlbtnc Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    They didn't work for me (this is going back years ago). I used them and was still hungry, so would eat food with them. Which was defeating the purpose. With that being said, it can work for you not everyone is alike. We all lose weight differently.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'm sure they've changed the formula since my college days, but I hated Slim Fast when I tried it. Not enough food for me (I lose better eating 1600-1700 cals and want to gnaw my own arm off below 1400) plus the shakes always sat in my stomach like a rock.

Can meal replacements work? Sure. I'd guess they have the same abysmal success/failure rate as every other diet out there (including calorie counting). But it's not something I'd suggest to others based on my own experiences with it. But to each his/her/their own. If it works for you and you're fueling properly/not missing anything with this, then your experiences are what matter. You've already bought the products. May as well try it and see. Just make sure you're getting a real meal with them and not something ridiculous like some berries.
  • HateChoosingUsername
    Options
    For me, they didn't. I got hungry soon after drinking it and in the long run consumed more than I should
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Work for what?

To lose weight? Sure they work for that because you are consuming less calories. The downside is fast weight loss usually also results in muscle loss which for some is a deal breaker.

To get adequate nutrition? Not usually but it’s possible depending on the shake and what else you are consuming.

As a sustainable lifestyle change? Maybe for some people but never for me. I enjoy food too much and find it more sustainable to learn appropriate portions of real food so I can still enjoy eating while maintaining a healthy weight.

I’ve done the shake and protein bar route. It did not work for me long term. I felt bored and deprived and could never stick with it. I’ve been very successful reaching a healthy weight counting calories and macros.

I do still supplement with the occasional shake or bar and might even have one in place of lunch one day if I’m not super hungry. But I do this when I’m not hitting my protein macro usually as a way to supplement rather than replace food. I still eat normally the rest of the day and/or week.
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I personally find that liquid calories don't make me feel as full for as long. I used to drink a lot of protein shakes, and I typically found myself getting hungry much sooner than if I had consumed the same amount of "solid" calories, and would frequently find myself going over my daily calorie goal because of it.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    They don't work for me. I have tried a different brand of meal replacement. In doing so I found out two things. Firstly, I need to eat my food to take away hunger and feel full. Drinking calories just doesn't do it for me. Secondly, when I restrict my calories too much I end up hangry. You seriously do not want to be around me when this happens. This hunger just led me to overeat so any weight lost was quickly regained. For many what happens is a cycle of restrict then binge. Fortunately, I was smart enough to give up after a week, knowing that it was not a realistic way of going about long term weight loss.
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I tried the Slimfast diet about 15 years ago. It was an abysmal failure. I was hungry all the time and didn’t successfully lose weight doing it.

I don’t have a problem drinking calories for meals on occasion; I went through a phase a couple years ago where I’d have a protein shake for breakfast, which I enjoyed and was filling for me, but I still had to track my calories. I wouldn’t survive ONLY drinking them, or even mostly drinking them, for that matter.
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I think your question has been answered very well, but just want to add this - there is a place for it depending on the type of person. My mom lost (And has kept off) 80 lbs over 20 years ago with Nutri System. It works for people who want to be told exactly what and how much to eat without second guessing it. But her experience is extremely rare.

And I pretty much always drink my breakfast - coffee mixed with a protein shake, sometimes blended with a banana and peanut butter or almond butter. That works for me, but I still count calories, so I don't consider it "meal replacement" - it's just that my meal in the morning is liquid.
  • an0393na
    an0393na Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Lavndrblu2 wrote: »
    Before I started eating LCHF, I used weight loss drinks 2 ways. (1) Hubs & I would take them on road trips in case we couldn't find a place to eat right away and (2) I wasn't very good at portion control, so I would have a canned shake about a 1/2 hour before dinner. So, not starving when I sat down for my meal, I would eat less.
    I have been LCHF for 4 months, lost 30lbs., A1c (diabetic) went from dangerous at 10 to normal under 5. I am 72yo and feel great. No bloating, no hunger pangs, no cravings, no crazy moods, no brain fog and plenty of nutrients. (Lots of good advice about low carb on YouTube :p ) Shakes are not bad of themselves, they are just not good instead of meals.

Hey I have a question... I read some things about LCHF and it is what I need.. I need low carbs anyway, I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol... My question is does the LCHF idea negatively effect this in your experience?
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    an0393na wrote: »
    Lavndrblu2 wrote: »
    Before I started eating LCHF, I used weight loss drinks 2 ways. (1) Hubs & I would take them on road trips in case we couldn't find a place to eat right away and (2) I wasn't very good at portion control, so I would have a canned shake about a 1/2 hour before dinner. So, not starving when I sat down for my meal, I would eat less.
    I have been LCHF for 4 months, lost 30lbs., A1c (diabetic) went from dangerous at 10 to normal under 5. I am 72yo and feel great. No bloating, no hunger pangs, no cravings, no crazy moods, no brain fog and plenty of nutrients. (Lots of good advice about low carb on YouTube :p ) Shakes are not bad of themselves, they are just not good instead of meals.

Hey I have a question... I read some things about LCHF and it is what I need.. I need low carbs anyway, I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol... My question is does the LCHF idea negatively effect this in your experience?

If you have high cholesterol talk to your doctor before starting a HF diet
  • hybridangel
    hybridangel Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I orwq0ulv3zr3.jpeg
    I’ve just bought these drinks and I am thinking of starting them tomorrow. I will be having one for breakfast and dinner and then tea a low calorie meal or a bowl of fruit. Just wondering if anyone else has tried these and had results and what low calorie meals can you suggest to have with them

Yes they do work. They have vitamins and minerals once you get to your goal weight you only have one shake for one of your meals and stay within your calorie allowance and after a while replace the final shake meal with another balanced meal againg keeping in your maintanance budget. Loosing weight has to be done however it is best for you.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I orwq0ulv3zr3.jpeg
    I’ve just bought these drinks and I am thinking of starting them tomorrow. I will be having one for breakfast and dinner and then tea a low calorie meal or a bowl of fruit. Just wondering if anyone else has tried these and had results and what low calorie meals can you suggest to have with them

Yes they do work. They have vitamins and minerals once you get to your goal weight you only have one shake for one of your meals and stay within your calorie allowance and after a while replace the final shake meal with another balanced meal againg keeping in your maintanance budget. Loosing weight has to be done however it is best for you.

Or you could just start out doing this with yummy, actual food. ;)