What is your “why” for losing weight?

Options
Just curious, what is everyone’s reason for wanting to lose weight? Mine is fibromyalgia and to look better of course! But my main reason is I had my first child, a baby girl, last February, and my mother died two days after her birth, because she had a total of 6 strokes throughout my life (she had me in her forties). I’m doing this because I never want my little girl to feel the way I do, left alone, if there is something I can do to prevent it! I want to live to see her great grandchildren! What are your “whys”? 😁

Replies

• vkm3118
    vkm3118 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for the loss of your mom. That is absolutely horrible and I definitely understand your "whys"!

For me it was mainly superficial things to be honest, although it should have been more serious health concerns because I was morbidly obese!! I mostly just wanted to look better and fit into the world better. For my entire twenties and part of my thirties, I was used to always squeezing into booths and chairs and buying the largest clothes in stores. I was fairly active and I ate a lot of healthy food but I was still fat. That ticked me off because I watched a lot of people around me who were thin or average eating worse than me and never exercising.

Now that I've lost over 130 and kept it off for five years so far, I see all the reasons I should have been losing weight. Potential for weight related conditions. Swelling ankles all summer. Migraines that completely stopped after I lost my first 70 lb. Tons of stuff! But whatever my reason(s) I am glad I did it at 36 and wish I'd done it sooner!

That’s awesome. Congratulations! You look amazing!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I was fat and happy for half a century until I had a blood test that indicated happiness was going off the cliff.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    None of my work clothes were fitting well, nor were my jeans, and my weight had creeped up to what it was after I had my second baby. We had scheduled a cruise, and I knew I'd be more carefree on the trip (with all the photos they take of you!) if I were feeling more confident. It was a great motivator, the trip.
  • xchantallia
    xchantallia Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ^The same as the person above. I'm going on a holiday in a couple months and I tried on some of my outfits and my bathing suit and I wasn't happy with what I saw. I want to enjoy my vacation, not fret about how I look.
  • cailynnn99
    cailynnn99 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I realized how physically limited I am in doing daily normal activities. This affected what I did socially with friends and I want to live a life free from worrying about how out of breath I am out walking with friends, etc. I just want to be healthy and comfortable with my own body.
  • holroydsm5
    holroydsm5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you guys but for me I have been feeling sluggish. I realized I wasn't out there enjoying life like I was before. Also after I gained weight I got stretch marks- for some people this doesn't bother them and is natural but that was a huge eye opener that it was time to change for me.
  • WynterDreaming
    WynterDreaming Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm 25, my back hurts to the point that there have been a few days, very rare but they have happened, that it was actually painful enough that getting out of bed brought me to tears. I breathe hard running up the stairs. I am no longer able to stretch and do the physical activities I enjoyed even ten years ago, cartwheeling around and back flipping, playing basketball and dancing. I want to be able to do the charity runs with my cousins and go play basketball with my niece. I'm too young to let myself be held back by a body I didn't take care of so now I need to fix it.
  • Opalescent_Topaz
    Opalescent_Topaz Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My mom died of a heart attack at 60. We have a family history of other weight-related issues. Plus, it seems like my medication (for an issue completely unrelated to weight) works better when I weigh less.
  • tashanic2
    tashanic2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    vanity.
  • loreefabulous
    loreefabulous Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am getting older and I get tired easily and I feel it will just be a snowball effect if I don’t create good eating habits and working out habits now.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Because powerlifting has weight classes.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I'm single and I want to look good while looking for a partner.

Also I'm in a limbo portion of my life where I don't have a lot of control in my life so I'm finally doing this (again!) to have control over some part...
  • FattyFatsoMcTubby
    FattyFatsoMcTubby Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Because I'm fat.
  • luaP852350
    luaP852350 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Trying to shed some lbs ready for summer B)
  • striving4moretoday
    striving4moretoday Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I want to do whatever I can to make aging a better experience for myself and of course my daughters.