I think I need to go see a doctor.

Options
Kst76
Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
edited March 2019 in Motivation and Support
I have not been doing #2 for over a week now. This have happened before.
I drink fluids. Not pure water but crystal light.,maybe 8 cups a day in all or carbonated Sugar free soda. I have a hard time with water.

I eat a balanced diet most of the time. Salads, baked fish, chicken, high fiber pasta, red meat. I eat most things.
I try to eat enough fiber.
I also excersise at the gym 3 to 4 times a week and average 10k step a day. I have a pretty active job working as an xray tech at a busy hospital.
But doing the number 2 is almost impossible and not unless I eat a whole damn pizza, do I actually have a bowel movement the next day.
I was 160 pounds a week ago. Today I am 167 and I have been eating within my calori allowance everyday, around 1450 . So 7 pounds! I mean, wtf.
I know its not actual fat weight gain, but i feel just awful. Feeling bloated is just an understatement. I'm sure you can imagine.

Anyhow, im just venting here. But any ideas would be nice.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    This is not normal. Go to the doctor immediately. I’m not saying you’re going to die but serious complications can result from backed up bowels.
  • Kst76
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    This is not normal. Go to the doctor immediately. I’m not saying you’re going to die but serious complications can result from backed up bowels.

Omg!
    Ok. I'm going make an appointment tomorrow.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I second going to the doctor. Not having a bowel movement for that long is not healthy.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    How's your fiber intake?

Have you tried taking otc over the counter stool softener?
  • Kst76
    Options
    I do eat fiber, but maybe i need to eat more than what mfp recommends.
    I drank Metamucil for a few days but no result. Maybe I need to double up on that.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    Get some doculax. Try it.. if still having problem.. see a doctor
  • Kst76
    Options
    I wonder, does blueberries stuff you up.
    I have eaten like 2 cups in last couple,of days.
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    Have you taken any sort of stool softener? I'm sure at this point you are extremely constipated. What about milk of magnesia? I got extremely constipated once due to inactivitiy and side effect of pain pills coming off surgery and that helped me alot.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options
    See a doctor. Also, one very overlooked part of the equation is fat. If you are not eating enough fat it will constipate you as well. Maybe rather than having a whole pizza have a few slices and eat a day at maintenance calories.
  • jaybirdaz79
    jaybirdaz79 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    DOCTOR. NOW.
  • Kst76
    Options
    In order for me to lose weight I can only eat so much calories. Even at only half a pound per week. A few slices of pizza will take up too much of that.
    BUT, I get what you are saying. I will double check my fat intake. What about carbs. Will too few carbs hurt me?
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    I think you're past the food fixes. See your doc.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Definitely see a doctor. I agree with checking to see that you are getting enough fibre and fat. Another thing to consider is the number of calories and bulkiness of food taken in. Smaller volumes taken in equals smaller volumes out, but there should still be something. I wouldn't double up on laxatives or take stronger ones unless the doctor has recommended this. Serious complications can come about from it. Get checked out first. Maybe print off your food diary and take it with you.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    See a doctor. Also, one very overlooked part of the equation is fat. If you are not eating enough fat it will constipate you as well. Maybe rather than having a whole pizza have a few slices and eat a day at maintenance calories.

Absolutely correct, I can vouch for this. If you need help for a naturally slow transit, pysillium husk caps are incredible. 2 taken at night with lots of water will allow you to go in the morning.

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Sometimes too much fiber or an abrupt increase in fiber can have the opposite effect. Recommend a stool softener or a laxative to get things moving.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    blueberries do the opposite for me :p
  • rabia56
    rabia56 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Not pregnant?
  • ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Something's definitely off. Lowering the fat in your diet can definitely cause constipation. I'm also eyeing up that red meat and high fiber pasta. Definitely see your doctor, even just for your own peace of mind. Everyone has their own favorite brand of stool softener/laxatives, but mine is Miralax. Favorite food cure? A few strips of bacon.
  • stutba
    stutba Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I Second See your doctor..
    IBS for me. I have bouts of constipation lasting 3 days or more, then diahrrea, then normalcy. Not the foods for me, just life. A good Probiotic supplement does help somewhat. I didn't get IBS until my late 40's, so it can happen at any time.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options

Fat is an important component to being able to "go".
    If you are eating lots of fiber, you need to drink a lot of water so that the fiber doesn't "bunch up" and constipate you. Water is needed for the fiber to work.
    If you aren't getting enough fat in your diet, you'll be constipated, even with fiber. Maybe trade a few fiber calories for fat calories to keep within your calorie limits.