Exercising with mobility problems

Options
Hi guys, I am trying to increase my activity levels as I work a sedentary job and want to boost my weight loss. I have chronic pain in my lower limbs and an issue with my left knee which means traditional forms of exercise are painful for me.

I swim a couple of times a week and do a weights session, are there any other cardio exercises you can recommend for someone with limited mobility?

Replies

• mummy_h
    mummy_h Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I use the exercise bike xx
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Hi, have you seen a doctor yet? I'm guessing the answer is yes, but you didn't leave any detailed info about your limitations.

I've had good progress with dynamic stretching and light weights for warmups plus there are some good YouTube videos on mobility exercises for various issues.

Oh, my issues are severe arthritis in my feet, and arch deformation that requires custom orthotic. I walk funny lol, and it tends to carry over to knees and back.

It would help if you shared the extent of your immobility.
  • ConfidentRaven
    ConfidentRaven Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I do seated cardio, there’s also some seated strength training videos around depending on what all you want to do.
  • Flyingfingers51
    Flyingfingers51 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am older and also have health issues. However, before I retired, I was able to get my employer to set up my desk so that I could work at it standing or sitting. I spent some part of my day standing at my desk. Any kind of body movement helps. While it's not the same as working out, it is important to not stay completely still all day. Even when you have a day when you feel bad, just move however much you are able. Don't beat yourself up about what you can't do, congratulate yourself for what you have accomplished. Good luck on your journey to better health!!