Losing too quickly?

Options
neekonico
neekonico Posts: 18 Member
I started back up two weeks ago. I was at 168. I'm down to 165. My next goal is 155 by the end of May. My overall goal is 140-145. I'm 5'8". Is losing 1.5 a week too fast? I'm eating 1300-1400 calories.

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    if the rate continues at 1.5 that would be fast for the 25 pds you are looking to lose. but the first week we can get a bonus water weight reduction speeding things up.

are you eating what MFP recommends for 0.5-1lb/week PLUS exercise calories?
  • neekonico
    Options
    Yes. MFP recommends 1390. So I'm pretty close to that.
  • neekonico
    Options
    I have the goal set at 1 pound per week.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I think you are ok - see where you average out in a couple more weeks - seems like you get a water weight bonus whoosh at the beginning that jump starts you. I bet it slows down...
  • gracenlunar
    gracenlunar Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm about the same stats as you, I started 18 days ago at 165 and now I am at 159. I am not starving myself, I eat about 1250 a day but I don't really eat my exercise calories, I was eating everything and anything I wanted before I started so I'm not worried about the fast weight loss, I'm sure it will level out soon.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I'm about the same stats as you, I started 18 days ago at 165 and now I am at 159. I am not starving myself, I eat about 1250 a day but I don't really eat my exercise calories, I was eating everything and anything I wanted before I started so I'm not worried about the fast weight loss, I'm sure it will level out soon.

If you don't eat your exercise calories, you are under eating. MFP's goal is only designed to be what it is because it assumes that you will eat back your exercise calories. There are other ways to calculate your goals, such as using the TDEE formula, that does not require eating back your exercise calories. But it will give you a higher daily calorie goal than MFP. Your exercise has to be accounted for somehow.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    For the OP, its too short a time period to make a determination of your rate of loss. 1.5 pounds a week would be too aggressive for your goals, but 2 weeks doesn't make a trend. When you start on a diet, a lot of times you will drop a couple of pounds of water weight quickly. If you are eating your exercise calories back and following your goal, it should slow down.
  • rdthoms
    rdthoms Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Don't set a weightloss/week goal, but do set a calorie deficit/week goal of no more than 20% off your maintenance calorie calculation. Like others said you'll need more data. Be happy with 1.5lb this week and don't worry if it is 0.5 or even 0.0 another week.
  • lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 410 Member
    Options

eat my exercise calories? why am I doing this? i exercised for a reason...to get rid of those calories. why do I have to eat them back?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    @lleeann2001
    You eat your exercise calories back to fuel your exercise. Your deficit is already built into you MFP calorie goal.

What are you going to do if you decide not to exercise, injure yourself, etc? Eat even less to compensate?

Undereating, by not eating those cals back, can lead to lethargy in daily life. This will affect your NEAT, and you could then be moving less than MFP sedentary, this will have a greater effect on your daily calorie burn, making your loss less than your MFP calculation.

If you are consistent in your exercise, but don’t like entering it, try using an off site TDEE calculator that will include your exercise.

Cheers, h.
    ETA: Think forward to the rest of your life maintaining. You get to eat more the more you move. Apply this to your weight loss too.
  • lleeann2001
    Options
    neekonico wrote: »
    I started back up two weeks ago. I was at 168. I'm down to 165. My next goal is 155 by the end of May. My overall goal is 140-145. I'm 5'8". Is losing 1.5 a week too fast? I'm eating 1300-1400 calories.

I am 185.7. I was 187.1 the other day.
  • lleeann2001
    Options
    What n=1 and TDEE.? These initials are freaking me out man!!!!...😂
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    What n=1 and TDEE.? These initials are freaking me out man!!!!...😂

NEAT = none exercise activity thermogenesis (the amount of energy expended that isn't sleeping, eating and exercise like day to day activities) TDEE is total daily energy expenditure how many calories you burn in a day including exercise, basic metabolic rate (BMR) and NEAT

• AvianDB
    AvianDB Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It’s probably just water weight if you’re aiming for 1lb a week, you’re doing fine no need to change anything just keep going.