help with running

Options
2»

Replies

• funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you're asking for help! I never learned how to run prior to joining the military and it seemed like torture. It wasn't until I got out that I realized there's a methodology for 'easier' running. 30 years later I now run farther and faster than I did while I was in. Best of luck to you!
  • anthocyanina
    anthocyanina Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Breathe in with your nose and mouth when running. Takes a little practice at first but you'll get more air that way.
  • xxxMADMAXxxx
    xxxMADMAXxxx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I want to add some thoughts. Many new runners discover that they are not as fast as they would like to be so they think they need to run fast - to get fast. Then they read all of the advice about starting out slowly and wonder what's up. Think about this:

As you learned in school your body is composed of multiple systems. When you run you put a strain on the muscular, cardiovascular, and skeletal systems (primarily). We improve fitness by creating small damage in training that then gets repaired during recovery - and we get stronger.

The issue with running is that not all of these systems respond in the same time frame. In general your cardiovascular system and your muscular system can repair cellular tissue damage quickly. You will begin to breathe easier and feel stronger fairly quickly. The danger lies in the damage you do to your connective tissues and bones. Remember the lessons where you learned you "get a new stomach lining" every two weeks? Your nervous tissue does not regenerate? Your skeletal and connective tissue recover much more slowly - like 10% per year.

So the part of the reason new runners are advised to run slowly is because their bodies need MONTHS for their skeletal and connective tissue to adapt to a continuous training load. Yes - speed work is important AFTER your body is adapted to running stress.
    Run slow. Give your body time. Be consistent. Speed and endurance will come.

Thanks so much for explaining this.
    When I started before, I had no idea what I was doing other than getting out and running as much as I could for an hour (and three hours on Saturdays). I thought it was the ice that was bothering my knees when I came home (since my body had felt just fine before then), but I guess it must have been a buildup from starting out too abruptly.

I am grateful to read this now before I start back up. Thanks!
  • xxxMADMAXxxx
    xxxMADMAXxxx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    First off, good for you for preparing to join the Air Force.
    Good luck on your journey!

Ah, I have a question for some of the replies here...

When I first began running, (while I was in studying at a different college) I would run as fast as I could, and then power-walk when it was too much, and do that over and over again for just over an hour.
    Since I returned home, I stopped running, so I do not have much experience at all.
    Why is it so important to run slowly in the beginning?

avoids injury

Thank you!