Losing too much LBM?

Options
So I weighed myself today and according to the scale I lost more weight but my BF% is the same...Does this mean I am mostly losing lean body mass and muscle?

If so how do I fix it, or is it a matter of needing to put in a lot more effort at the gym?

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    My scale says that with a BMI of 24 currently at 32% body fat. The Naval calculator online puts me at 20.7% with a 3% margin of error based on my measurements, height, and weight. I trust the naval formula more than the scale so I use that to track my bf% trend until I can get another dexa done. 9hi7fp0cdhra.png
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you are losing weight but staying the same body composition then unless your bodyfat percentage is over 50 % then yes you are losing more LBM than fat.
    e.g. if you are 20%BF then only 20% of your weight loss was fat.

But (or maybe BUT!) home scales aren't great data, as regards hydration levels it can be utterly useless data.
    The second but is that LBM is mostly water related, muscle mass is only part of LBM.

If you are strength training, eating a good amount of protein and have an appropriate calorie deficit then loss of muscle isn't really going to be significant.

Have read of Lyle McDonald's site as he's got lots of good information on the subject.

• inherentst0rm
    inherentst0rm Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input!