Post workout snack!

Options
Hiya,

On a typical day I gym in the morning, focusing on mainly running/cardio. I usually eat a breakfast bar beforehand as I can’t eat much when I gym. This is all well and good but when I get home all I want is food! Can anyone tell me a good post workout snack to have as I’m terrible and go for anything sweet which ruins what I’ve just done in the gym!

Replies

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Why do you think that going for sweet things 'ruins' what you've done?

As long as sweet things fit into your overall calorie and nutritional goals, go ahead and mainline the cake!

Or are you looking for recommendations for sweet things that are lower in calories? Or higher in protein?
  • amber_buckingham11
    amber_buckingham11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Usually it’s things like chocolate and biscuits. Would rather eat healthier alternatives after a workout. Just need a low calorie snack that is filling and calms the sugar craving.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, a protein shake, peanut butter and carrots.
  • ceiswyn
    Options
    lin_be wrote: »

Peanut butter is not low calorie ;)
  • ceiswyn
    Options
    How 'bout something like this?

Nakd 'Cocoa Delight' bar

It's sweet and chocolatey, but made of fruit and nuts rather than flour and sugar.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    lin_be wrote: »

Peanut butter is not low calorie ;)

1tbsp of pb and some carrots isn’t a lot of calories and it hits the sweet tooth. You can also sub for pb2.
  • ceiswyn
    edited March 2019
    Options
    For the calories in 1 tbsp of peanut butter the OP could have two bourbon cream biscuits and dip them into a nice cup of tea :)

450px-Cup_of_tea_and_bourbon_biscuit.jpg

I grant you that the PB and carrots would be healthier, though! (And if anyone finds that changing their snack habits leaves them with unwanted biscuits, I will be happy to dispose of them for you)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Whatever you like that requires almost no time when you get home. You could premake a sandwich, or have leftovers ready to go, or whatever.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I usually have a big apple, or a couple of boiled eggs, I've experimented with rice cakes and cheese. I may try a large volume shake. After my workout and through lunch is my hungriest time of the day - today I ran my 5 miles and I just had a big snack bowl that I'd usually save for later at night. Apple, cheese, crackers, walnuts. Will see how I do, it's still 2 hours til lunch for me.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Usually it’s things like chocolate and biscuits. Would rather eat healthier alternatives after a workout. Just need a low calorie snack that is filling and calms the sugar craving.

Fruit?
  • johngsprague
    johngsprague Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    For post workout, I find protein quiets my appetite but sweets make me want more and more. So I usually go dead simple, like cracking an egg into a ramekin and nuking it for 30-45 seconds, beat it with a fork and call it a scrambled egg. A little pepper, and wash it down with a juice glass of milk.
    Or a small whey protein shake in milk.
    You need to plan these snacks into your daily macros, obviously.
    Another thought, Amber, would be to drop that pre-workout bar, and let your body go after your glyco stores and fat stores to fuel the workout. You may find, as I have, that you won't feel hungry after the workout until lunch time. So there you go, burning more fat in the morning, and reaping the other benefits of intermittant fasting as a bonus.
    Good luck!
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Banana! :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i enjoy chocolate milk hot or cold depending on mood
  • Jovia_j
    Jovia_j Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Can a boil egg and a banana together be eaten after workout session???
  • johngsprague
    johngsprague Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would say yes, that's a perfect recovery snack.
  • amber_buckingham11
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    How 'bout something like this?

Nakd 'Cocoa Delight' bar

It's sweet and chocolatey, but made of fruit and nuts rather than flour and sugar.

I’ve never tried these bars before but I definitely think I’ll try these. A lot of it’s psychological and these actually look like chocolate bars!
  • amber_buckingham11
    Options
    For post workout, I find protein quiets my appetite but sweets make me want more and more. So I usually go dead simple, like cracking an egg into a ramekin and nuking it for 30-45 seconds, beat it with a fork and call it a scrambled egg. A little pepper, and wash it down with a juice glass of milk.
    Or a small whey protein shake in milk.
    You need to plan these snacks into your daily macros, obviously.
    Another thought, Amber, would be to drop that pre-workout bar, and let your body go after your glyco stores and fat stores to fuel the workout. You may find, as I have, that you won't feel hungry after the workout until lunch time. So there you go, burning more fat in the morning, and reaping the other benefits of intermittant fasting as a bonus.
    Good luck!

Thanks! I used to go without eating anything but preform better when I do have a bit of an energy boost. Although I’ll try again and see if I can stop these cravings! I never know what brand of protein shake to buy! So many out there! :smiley: