Back again. Seriously considering Bi-Pass this time.

Options
Darton2010
Darton2010 Posts: 137 Member
I was very active on here a few years ago, lost over 100lbs, sadly since then gained it all back and a lot more. I’m back to give it another shot but for the first time seriously considering Gastric Bi-Pass. My mother had it done and has done well.

Any of you guys had the surgery? Pros and Cons? Thanks

John

Replies

• Redstomp
    Redstomp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had the surgery ten years ago, got close to my target weight, but have sadly crawled into the "obese" category again from slipping into bad habits (candy!) though thankfully not as badly as my original weight.

And now that I've kind of had the realisation that action is needed, I'm thankful once again for the procedure, because it did and does provide me more of a fighting change. This time I have laid plans for both my weight loss AND for how to maintain it in the future.
  • AprilMLowe
    AprilMLowe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I had the Sleeve in October and lost 65 pounds already and feeling great! Look at all options and make diet changes and exercise routines that you like. Choose the best option that fits you! I wish you the best luck on your journey!
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I have been looking onto pros and cons - but somehow either way portion control is so very important. Body parts can stretch and eventually stomachs can take as much a volume as they used to be able to. Eating changes, meal plans and eating patterns have to change either way. MFP and its members give excellent support - I am sure going under knife is a quick fix but is it long term without improved life style choices?
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I have family members who have done it, but the ones that failed came out of it unable to be committed to the specific calorie needs for a day and continued to overeat, so they gained it all back. They had no practice understanding the limits of what their bodies needed within a day.
  • ConfidentRaven
    ConfidentRaven Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Both my mom and a friend had the surgery. My mom has done pretty well with minimal problems and has kept the weight off for 10 years. My friend though has had a few complications since his surgery, he has anemia and something called malabsorption disorder. He does say even with the issues that he has he highly recommends it. My mother though often tells people to seriously consider if they really need to have it done. She often comments that she isn’t sure she would have it done and that it’s a lot harder than it seems. In addition she says that it still took her years to learn how to eat properly and that she wishes she had learned it before her surgery. A couple of years ago when I mentioned having the surgery she advised me not to. So there you go two different takes and an idea of some of the challenges you may face.
  • lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    What everyone says is correct. One has to reallly LEARN or what i did that is to say reevaluate my relationship with food. The surgery does help. I had it in December of 2017 and have lost 73 pounds. According to my doctor He wanted me to have lost more as of my 1 year anniversary. I agreed with him as I had only gotten down to 197 ( at the time) Im 187 now. But Ive truly learned that one has to USE THE TOOL.... I didn't for about 6 months and didnt drop a pound. Fortunately, I only gained 7 pounds during that time from my lowest weight which was 190. Thus, I have learned to take care of and use my tool wisely. It is there to assist me. And I dont want everything thats been done to help me to go to waste. " It works if you work IT". BUT IF I had to do it all over again I would definitely do it in a heartbeat. I didnt have any comp!ications. Whatever decision you make , I hope that your weight loss journey is successful and filled with joy!!

LeeAnn
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Surgery is not a short term fix. It is a tool and although it is an amazing tool, it is still a tool and used improperly it is not going to work. Yes, it is still entirely up to you to change your attitude about food, your eating habits, your entire lifestyle. But the surgery is excellent at helping you get there. You have to accept that eventually, you will be able to to eat much more like a regular person and weight regain is entirely possible. After my gastric bypass in 2011 I lost 130lbs, gained 40 back, lost 50, and now regained 35 (this last regain was largely due to being inactive and careless with my calories since I was recovering from multiple surgeries and broken bones). I'm all healed up and on track to lose the regain but having been able to keep most of it off after eight years is no small feat. I'm thankful every day that I got that surgery and a have a lifelong tool to get me where I need to be.