Calories vs Macro focus

Options
Its been a while since I asked something here, but I just had a thought and figured I ask for community feedback.

My dietitian always leans towards "just be healthy, satiated and monitor portions" and the underlying idea is, from what I gathered, "I can't recommend anything to you to really optimize results of weight loss if you can't maintain stable eating habits as is" which I get, but I am curious about something. Do we look at "calories in/calories out" with steady exercise before trying to nitpick macros or would keeping an eye on both be the best approach?

Im trying to really make progress this year... like a few steps under drastic progress, so i figured let me try to monitor my calories but slowly work on getting more protein into my diet as opposed to all the carbs I usually slide into.

Thoughts?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    Iragen wrote: »
    Its been a while since I asked something here, but I just had a thought and figured I ask for community feedback.

My dietitian always leans towards "just be healthy, satiated and monitor portions" and the underlying idea is, from what I gathered, "I can't recommend anything to you to really optimize results of weight loss if you can't maintain stable eating habits as is" which I get, but I am curious about something. Do we look at "calories in/calories out" with steady exercise before trying to nitpick macros or would keeping an eye on both be the best approach?

Im trying to really make progress this year... like a few steps under drastic progress, so i figured let me try to monitor my calories but slowly work on getting more protein into my diet as opposed to all the carbs I usually slide into.

Thoughts?

For me "just be healthy, satiated and monitor portions" is doable if I meet or exceed my protein (and fiber) goal and don't get carried away with carbs. So I do pay attention to the protein macro, as well as calories.
  • Luciicul
    Luciicul Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn’t be happy with that advice from a dietician; paying attention to calories and macros makes me more aware of what I am eating and how much I am eating and allows me to make better choices.

BUT it depends on how you like to work; lots of people are different from me and would rather be told to “eat a palm sized portion of meat” and “three handfuls of vegetables” etc rather than count calories and weigh portions. Lots of health professionals dumb things down because research has shown that it is easier for people to stick to a diet that is simplified this way.

I have also found through trial and error that what macros I eat DOES make a difference for me and it is hard for me to lose weight if I eat too many carbs, so reducing starchy carbs and high GI & GL carbs is important to me. Different people metabolise macros differently, so some people do well on high-carb, others (like me) do better on low-carb.

Also, it’s important to make sure you eat enough protein to protect muscle mass as you lose weight. There are calculators online to work out how much you should eat.

However, you don’t have to get everything “right” from day one, your knowledge and refinements will happen over time, so start with improvements that you can live with today.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Iragen wrote: »

Thoughts?

While everyone is different in regards to what works best for them, this sounds like a very sensible and workable plan for me. It is similar to how I went about weight loss. As @kariadner said, focus on changing one thing at a time and once that is mastered, move onto another. Too many changes at once can become over restrictive and harder to stick to. Because of this you are more likely to give up.
  • Iragen
    Iragen Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for their responses. Im the type that likes to collect all the data, know all the rules and recommendations (procrastinate while learning all this mind you) then slowly become overwhelmed and start to slack off so I think baby-stepping myself as suggested here is the right step.

Im trying to monitor my protein intake and Im getting a bit better. Im at 60-90g a day now and Im doing better with sticking close to my deficit but not OBSESSING over every calorie while also hitting the gym at least 3x a week and im more efficient with gym time. Instead of 2.5+hrs Im down to an hour of lifting and I save cardio for its own two days with swimming, light jogging or light hiking.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I track calories very closely and macroa very loosely. I have a protein goal and aim to meet that every day and let my fats and carbs fall wherever within my calorie target.

My most satisfying days usually see a close split between all macros. Then it's close to TOM, it gets very carb heavy, and my carbs are also way higher on long run days.