Problem losing weight I gained from depression meds

Options
Hi I’m 54 and I gained 40 pounds ten years ago from medication for depression. I still take the meds because it works for me . I want to here from people who lost the weight they gained from the medication for depression while still taking it. I just need to know it’s possible because I having trouble losing it. Thank you

Replies

• eiei2019
    eiei2019 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to get back to me!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    aguilar_k3 wrote: »

Regardless if medication cause your calories out to come down, it is still CI<CO it just means that your calorie allowance will need to be lower than the estimate given, something which can be determined by logging accurately and honestly for 4-6 weeks. If you're not averaging the expected weight loss you just adjust as necessary as you said yourself it may have been significantly lower calories but by lowering them, you lost weight.

I've never seen anyone pretending that nothing impacts Calories Out, in fact it's quite normal in these threads for people to point out that medications can cause fatigue which in turn leads to a lower NEAT.

My weight loss was something like 20% of the expected rate. I did think of doing what you're suggesting--adjusting my intake to account for the difference-but it would have put me at a very unhealthy calorie level in terms of nutrients. And that doesn't even account for absurd weight gain I witnessed when I fell off the wagon and ate pizza one evening or whatever.

When people insist that the problem *really* that you're just eating a lot more than you think, it does imply that the issue is always in the first part of the equation. But there's only so much you can cut before it becomes unhealthy/unreasonable! It's not a very helpful response.

Or it could just mean you have to take it slower rather than cutting a lot lower. It depends how much weight you have to lose, if it's vanity weight then yes it would probably wouldn't be so beneficial. However, if someone has a lot of weight to lose (which means they would have a rather higher BMR anyway and unlikely that cutting slightly lower would affect healthy nutrition), that could benefit their health long term if lost, then surely better to lose very slowly rather than just quit?
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    I have to disagree with other people here--the medication can make you gain weight. I'm sick of people shouting "It's calories in vs. calories out!!!" while pretending that ABSOLUTELY NOTHING can impact the second part of that equation (even though we already know that isn't true). Unlike the the poster above, I kicked my own butt trying to lose weight for over a year--having never struggled with my weight previously--and experienced loss at a significantly lower rate than anticipated based on my caloric deficit (if at all).

I've been working with a psychiatrist and have been assured that, just because I experienced weight gain with one medication in the class, it doesn't mean that will happen with all of them. If you haven't already, I suggest talking to an actual psych rather than a GP to get that extra expertise.

It is still CICO, but the medication may affect the Cals out, by making your more lethargic, or lower metabolism (BMR) slightly, or could affect appetite to the point you eat more cals in... some meds may do both, make you lethargic, so you move less and increase appetite, but other than water retention, weight gain still comes down to CICO.

It won't really lower bmr, but it can lower your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) through decrease of activity from fatigue. BMR is your base functions, heart rate, digestion, breathing, blood flow, etc. We are warm-blooded, homeostatic creatures, so these functions will continue going at their standard, steady pace until they can't anymore, at which point they fail. Can't really slow them down, if they start slowing down, it means they're struggling and somethings wrong, and that's what the doctors call "failure". I think what everyone's trying to say is that calories in and out can only change through conscious activity, even if that conscious activity is decreased by heavy influence of drugs.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    I have to disagree with other people here--the medication can make you gain weight. I'm sick of people shouting "It's calories in vs. calories out!!!" while pretending that ABSOLUTELY NOTHING can impact the second part of that equation (even though we already know that isn't true). Unlike the the poster above, I kicked my own butt trying to lose weight for over a year--having never struggled with my weight previously--and experienced loss at a significantly lower rate than anticipated based on my caloric deficit (if at all).

I've been working with a psychiatrist and have been assured that, just because I experienced weight gain with one medication in the class, it doesn't mean that will happen with all of them. If you haven't already, I suggest talking to an actual psych rather than a GP to get that extra expertise.

It is still CICO, but the medication may affect the Cals out, by making your more lethargic, or lower metabolism (BMR) slightly, or could affect appetite to the point you eat more cals in... some meds may do both, make you lethargic, so you move less and increase appetite, but other than water retention, weight gain still comes down to CICO.

It won't really lower bmr, but it can lower your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) through decrease of activity from fatigue. BMR is your base functions, heart rate, digestion, breathing, blood flow, etc. We are warm-blooded, homeostatic creatures, so these functions will continue going at their standard, steady pace until they can't anymore, at which point they fail. Can't really slow them down, if they start slowing down, it means they're struggling and somethings wrong, and that's what the doctors call "failure". I think what everyone's trying to say is that calories in and out can only change through conscious activity, even if that conscious activity is decreased by heavy influence of drugs.

True to a point but thyroid conditions lower BMR, you burn less than you would expect given your BF%, weight, height, gender, etc. Meds can do the same, not usually a large % of variance, but enough to make a difference.
  • aguilar_k3
    aguilar_k3 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes, in theory I could try maintaining a 1200 calorie diet for life and accept that, any time I don't obsessively track every bite I eat--whether for a day or a week--I'm going to keep fattening up inexorably. Or, I could acknowledge the reality of this frankly horrible side effect and try making changes to my treatment. And of course, if staying on that particular med is absolutely essential for mental health, it's certainly better to just acknowledge this possible symptom instead of shaming them.

It's honestly difficult enough for the average person to stay at a healthy weight. Nobody needs an enormous extra handicap to make it more difficult.