Meal Prepping on the Weekends

kali31337
kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
Does anyone meal prep for their weekend?

I have been really great about my eating during the week when everything is already prepared but have been letting some of the wheels come off when I'm left to make the decision in the moment. So I'm contemplating prepping for 7 days instead of 5 but I'm worried about the lack of flexibility and food going to waste if my weekend plans change...

Any advice or stories about what you do would be great!

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Make big quantities and freeze in single serving size containers. I usually make 3 things every weekend so I have a variety on hand. I do steel cut oatmeal, and an egg dish too. Prep raw veggies for the week too.
  • kali31337
    Make big quantities and freeze in single serving size containers. I usually make 3 things every weekend so I have a variety on hand. I do steel cut oatmeal, and an egg dish too. Prep raw veggies for the week too.

Thanks! I definitely don't freeze as much stuff as I should as freezer space is limited but it's definitely a great idea
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    I work from home now but when I worked in an office I prepped for 4 days. I wanted more flexibility for Fridays and the weekend.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    freezing is a great idea. Perhaps you could just try it for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. If you end up throwing a bunch of stuff out then on to plan B.
    I find that I am more likely to eat it if it is all ready to go. meal prepping once a week for 6 days (lunch and dinner, I often make breakfast fresh each day) allows me one day to decide not to eat what I have prepped.
  • kali31337
    kd_mazur wrote: »
    freezing is a great idea. Perhaps you could just try it for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. If you end up throwing a bunch of stuff out then on to plan B.
    I find that I am more likely to eat it if it is all ready to go. meal prepping once a week for 6 days (lunch and dinner, I often make breakfast fresh each day) allows me one day to decide not to eat what I have prepped.

6 days may be a good way plan! I also meal prep lunches and dinners and this week I added in breakfast. I like something I can just throw into my bag and eat once I'm at my desk. I don't have the energy or time to put together food in the morning!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    I don't prep whole meals, but I do prep a few things each weekend. This weekend I made chicken bao, sous vide egg bites, and steamed four artichokes. I basically make a few things I can slot into meals as needed, depending on my time constraints on any particular day. If I find I'm not using something I made -- say, if I didn't use the chicken bao this week because I had a lot of lunch meetings at work -- I toss it in the freezer and it becomes an emergency meal for sick days, etc.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    We use these and I put them in the freezer. If a day or two's worth go unused we make that many fewer for next week and we use the ones we didn't eat as the first for the subsequent week.

You need a roomy freezer though. For three meals a day you'll need room for 15, 18, or 21, depending on how many days you prep for.
  • kali31337
    Thanks everyone! I definitely have to utilize my freezer more and honestly, I have some stuff in it that was supposed to be use for FriendsMas that never happened so I either need to eat it or donate it. That should clear up a lot of room for meal prep!