Calorie burn counter

Options
Wasn't sure of where to categorize this question, but I figured this would work since its related to nutrition and diet a bit.

My gym at my first sign up ran me threw questions then showed me a projected "here is typically how much you burn for calories as RMR OR BMR (I forgot which because he told me I can find the other one easily)... so if you do xyz then you can potentially burn this much at rest if you add another 10lbs of lean muscle"

Do any of you know a site that has a calorie counter that factores in lean muscle?

Thanks

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Not quite sure I understand your question but you can work out how many calories you need to consume on tdeecalculator.net and that has a field for BF% that is optional - if you use it you get a more accurate result. For example, I plug in my stats and leave the BF% filed blank and I get less calories for my maintenance than if I use the field and put in for example 20% BF - it will give me more calories to eat the less my BF% is (i've played with it before). So the more muscle I have (lean muscle) the more I can eat. Which is GREAT.

But - not sure exactly what you mean. Do you mean like "if you do x minutes of squats you will burn x calories?"

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Muscle at rest burns approximately 6 cals per pound per day.
    Adding 10lbs of muscle gets you possibly a small apple a day...… Whooppee!

There was an ancient myth that a pound of muscle burned 50 cals a day based on a faulty study but that was debunked decades ago.

There's lots of good reasons to gain muscle of course but the real calorie benefit from more muscle is the exercise done to gain them and the exercise needed to maintain them plus the additional performance gives you higher burns from your exercise (more weight lifted, more power during cardio...).

Some BMR/TDEE calculators do take estimated bodyfat percentage into account but that estimate itself may not be accurate in the first place. This one for example - https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/
  • Iragen
    Iragen Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    Not quite sure I understand your question but you can work out how many calories you need to consume on tdeecalculator.net and that has a field for BF% that is optional - if you use it you get a more accurate result. For example, I plug in my stats and leave the BF% filed blank and I get less calories for my maintenance than if I use the field and put in for example 20% BF - it will give me more calories to eat the less my BF% is (i've played with it before). So the more muscle I have (lean muscle) the more I can eat. Which is GREAT.

But - not sure exactly what you mean. Do you mean like "if you do x minutes of squats you will burn x calories?"

Sorry I was all over the place but you answered my question. I am basically trying to figure out "I get ____ much lean muscle and I can stop worrying about progressing amd focus on maintenance exercises to trim fat and maintain stamina". Im 177lbs of lean muscle already which apparently isn't that bad but the fitness director was like

"if you can get closer to 190lbs of lean muscle that would be better. You'd burn about 2100 calories at rest."

So thats my target.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    To be clear, the fitness director wants you paying for membership and buying training sessions and whatnot.

You can get a Dexascan for a reasonable price (mine was $45 last year) and you will know exactly what all your numbers are and you can make your plan from there. How much you burn at what body composition is something you can ballpark with this kind of data but you'll have to lean into living it to really see.
  • Iragen
    Iragen Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

There was an ancient myth that a pound of muscle burned 50 cals a day based on a faulty study but that was debunked decades ago.

There's lots of good reasons to gain muscle of course but the real calorie benefit from more muscle is the exercise done to gain them and the exercise needed to maintain them plus the additional performance gives you higher burns from your exercise (more weight lifted, more power during cardio...).

Some BMR/TDEE calculators do take estimated bodyfat percentage into account but that estimate itself may not be accurate in the first place. This one for example - https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

Thanks for this response and I will check out the link for sure. Im wondering if thats a marketing gimmick for guys from fitness experts? "Put on this amount of muscle and you'll technically burn this" leaving out the little detail that you'd need a chunk of muscle to really get good results.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Iragen wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »

Thanks for this response and I will check out the link for sure. Im wondering if thats a marketing gimmick for guys from fitness experts? "Put on this amount of muscle and you'll technically burn this" leaving out the little detail that you'd need a chunk of muscle to really get good results.

It's just a common trait in any kind of sales environment to sell using descriptions better or more without actually quantifying how much better or if the more or better actually has any real significance.

"Massive rug sale today!" Truthful statement but I don't want to buy a massive rug and the sale was also on yesterday and will be on tomorrow....

A lot of diet and fitness sayings are based on facts but just used out of, or without context or the importance is vastly exaggerated.

This is an interesting read - https://bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/dissecting-the-energy-needs-of-the-body-research-review.html/