Intermitent Fasting and training

Options
I have been doing IF for 6 weeks and found out it works great to me to stay in a deficit while not feeling hungry. The schedule that works better with me is dinner around 20.00 and having my first meal next day at 13.00. Once a week i do a boxing class in the evening and i am not home until 22.00, do you think its so important to eat after an intense cardio workout or i should better stick to my IF plan?

Replies

• runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I think you need to do what feels best for you. IF isn't the end all/be all to weight loss. There are some days where I am ravenous prior to noon, so I eat. Try it both ways and see how you feel. As long as you're in a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight.
  • johngsprague
    johngsprague Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am on the same schedule with IF, and work out in the morning at home with no recovery meal so to speak until lunchtime. Works great for me so far. If you don't eat after your late workout, you'll have a more effective fast period due to having burned off a whole lot of glycogen. These will likely be the days when you lose the most weight.
    The down side is no recovery meal equals longer recovery, say going from a 2 hr recovery to 12-16 hr recovery, they say. I see no problem with that. I love the idea of workouts during the fasting period. Since it's all about what happens to your body from hour 12 to hour 16 of an IF, a workout anywhere along the first twelve will cause better/earlier ketosis and so on from 12-16, I surmise. I say let your body use your body's stores to recover in this case.