Easy low carb or keto recipes?

Options
knightingale9985
knightingale9985 Posts: 8 Member
Needing CHEAP and simple keto recipe ideas for a family. I don’t want weird stuff like bone broth.. I’m not a chef! Looking for ideas that normal average non-chefs would use. Stuff we grew up with but in keto form. I refuse to buy zoodles or buy a zoodler cause I don’t need the extra cost or WORK. But squash recipes I’m fine with. And forget disgusting bread recipes because almond and coconut flour is vile! We are fine without breads or fat bombs.. And no cauliflower mashed potatoes.. You can’t make those nasty things taste like mashed potatoes.. Also not drinking that nasty coffee with butter and MCT oil in it. Don’t like coffee to begin with.

Except for cauliflower (ugh) I’m ok with ANY other veggies. We LOVE vegetables! Any recipe that uses a lot of different vegetables is very much welcome.

Allergies are wheat, eggs, cherries, apples, melons, pineapple, and water chestnuts. No gluten allergies or nut allergies but my daughter hates nuts.

Not interested in alcohol or deserts..

Thank you!

Replies

• knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    youre gonna struggle, can't lie. but one of my fav recipies that meets your requirements is pepper tacos. make regular tacos as usual, i switch from ground beef and ground chicken or turkey depending on whats on sale. once you add spices it all tastes same anyway, but instead of shells but them on lettuce leafs or what i do is slice peppers in boat" form and place meat, cheese, salsa, and turkey pepperoni on top. delicious and pretty simple and a good knock off of normal tacos b/c of crunch of peppers.
  • knightingale9985
    Options
    Sounds awesome! And easy to do! Great idea.. Thank you!
  • gaelicstorm
    gaelicstorm Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I don't personally care for cauliflower mashed potatoes BUT I do make a really yummy cauliflower fried rice. It is actually very good if you take the time to do it properly. I'm honestly not a cauliflower fan ordinarily but the fried rice is actually very good (I buy frozen riced cauliflower--the fried rice takes about 10 minutes to make).

I do make zucchini noodles. It honestly isn't as much work as you imagine. It isn't more work than chopping up veggies. I don't really cook with zucchini much during the winter (I live in a northern climate) because of the price. I cook with zucchini a lot in the summer.

One dish I make to meal prep for work is egg roll in a bowl. You can use any meat you want (I personally prefer chicken breast). You can use the bagged coleslaw veggies (cabbage and carrots, basically) to save time. You just cook your chicken (I prefer to bake mine in a bit of soy sauce). In a big pan you saute a little garlic in some olive oil, then add your coleslaw veggies and toss around with a few tbsp of soy sauce. Add your protein and you are done. I personally like adding about 1/4 tsp of sesame oil for a more authentic flavor. It makes a fabulous low-carb lunch and I find it filling.

I also enjoy making zucchini lasagna--but you really need to be sure you sweat the zucchini first in a warm oven or it will be quite watery. I often use ground turkey as the protein in mine (personal preference).

When I'm in the mood for a sandwich I just use a low-carb wrap and add my meat, cheese, and veggies to that. BLT salads are also really great!

I stick to my meal plans by batch-cooking lunches for the week. That is what keeps me on track. Good luck!!!
  • gaelicstorm
    Options
    I also wanted to add that I agree with you on the almond flour. I've tried a bunch of "bread" recipes with it and I just can't like it. I feel the same way about hummus. I want to like it because it would give me a bigger variety but I just don't and at the end of the day I still want to enjoy my food!
  • popewhite17
    popewhite17 Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    !!
  • Jenivivefrancis
    Jenivivefrancis Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    !!
  • knightingale9985
    Options
    Thank you Garlicstorm. Lunch ideas are the hardest.. I made my son some meat cheese and egg roll ups for his lunch for work and chopped up some carrots and celery for him and sent a container of cream cheese to dip it in. He really enjoys keto meals over carby meals. My daughter refuses to give up her carbs so I make her keto meals and let her buy a snack when out. I guess her diet is more low carb than it is keto. I’ll try the cauliflower rice.. I hate cauliflower but I know sometimes cooking something a new way can change the flavor.
  • knightingale9985
    Options
    Thank you Alexiso40.. Those are helpful!
  • Liamsm0m
    Liamsm0m Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Roasted sheet pan meals? You can pick your protein and customize your veggies & dietary needs. One pan, in oven - that’s it.

I also thought of Mississippi Pot Roast (you can make in oven, IP, or crock pot), bunless burgers & breakfast for dinner - eggs, bacon & pancakes (I do Kodiak mix or frozen). Premier Protein in smoothies, too.

I don’t eat zoodles. I think it’s a passing trend and I don’t “need” pasta. I also appreciate simplicity with things that are somewhat familiar to us as a family. Good luck!
  • Liamsm0m
    Options
    Also, I hate cauliflower rice, etc. It’s too bitter. But! We tried the Green Giant cauliflower mash with bacon the other night and it really was good. It’s low carb. I added a touch of cheese on mine. I would absolutely buy it again for times I feel like mashed potato comfort food. 👌🏼
  • Liamsm0m
    Options
    Third post to you 😂😂
    Pinterest will have a ton of ideas for you!!!
  • gaelicstorm
    Options
    I agree that the taste of things like cauliflower are all in the way we cook it! I am normally not a fan at all. I will say that I don't aim for keto, just low carb (for medical reasons).

I also love to make (what I call) a naked burger salad. A burger on top of lettuce with tomatoes and bacon and cheese. No need for the bun!!! I am the only low-carber in my home so I end up modifying dinners for myself a lot and this modification is super easy. I also enjoy my burger wrapped in lettuce when we are out at restaurants. I also LOVE sweet potatoes. I will make them for myself when the rest of the family has regular potatoes.

I don't know if you like pepperoni but I've been making pepperoni chips as snacks--just cook the pepperoni at 400 degree for 5 minutes, blot up the grease, back into the oven for another minute and then let drain on a paper towel. They are nice and crispy and spicy. It works best if you have an oven that also has a convection mode. I also do bacon in the oven this way, only it takes longer to cook.

I eat a lot of hard boiled eggs as snacks. I also enjoy ranch dip (made with sour cream and a hidden valley ranch packet) with cucumbers, peppers, or carrots. When I'm in the mood for sweet I will add a little whipped cream to greek yogurt with berries. Yum!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options

Except for cauliflower (ugh) I’m ok with ANY other veggies. We LOVE vegetables! Any recipe that uses a lot of different vegetables is very much welcome. ...

Thank you!

Try this jambalaya recipe - definitely meets your "a lot of different vegetables" criteria. You could add even more if you like. Use inexpensive sausages in place of Andouille sausages. You can skip the shrimp if you like. You could also add chicken if you want more protein in it.

Sometimes, we serve this over rice cooked separately. I sometimes serve it on shredded cabbage if I'm trying to limit carbs or eat more vegetables. And I like a bowl of it all by its lonesome.

Very easy to make. I fill a 6 quart slow cooker and freeze some of this for future meals.

https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/low-carb-crock-pot-jambalaya-96660

• knightingale9985
    Options
    All of these are great ideas! I actually have a lot of keto recipes saved on Pinterest but I’m on a budget and most are fancy.. But there are some good ones!

I love naked burgers.. I also like portabella caps for buns.. Unfortunately so do my kids which can make it more pricey buying for all of us so I opt out. I love pot roast but beef in NC is outrageous. It’s a rare treat to get beef..

Jambalaya is great.. My brother makes a wonderful jambalaya but I never learned. My daughter has been asking for it every time we pass by the sea food mixes. I think she just wants calamari..