Keto Question

Options
Should I be tracking my SF Metamucil packet in regards to net carbs on Keto?? Hard to find info but it seems like a fiber supplement itself cannot cancel itself out, if that makes sense...

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    You'd subtract fiber from carbs to see (it cannot have more fiber than carbs). I don't know if there are any carbs in it but fiber -- if it's only fiber then it's 0 net carbs, if it has more carbs might be worth counting. Calories also might be worth counting -- I just have no idea how much it contains.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    You will subtract the total fiber from the total carbs. If the fiber is greater than the carbs, then subtract the remaining fiber from your other carbs for that day.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You will subtract the total fiber from the total carbs. If the fiber is greater than the carbs, then subtract the remaining fiber from your other carbs for that day.

fiber cannot be greater than the carbs as fiber is a carb, but not one your body can access the energy from.

If the fiber is greater than the carbs on the package, then fiber has already been deducted from the total carbs and the carb number would be net carbs
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I found it simpler just to track total carbs and make sure that I are high fibre, low sugar/carb foods.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

fiber cannot be greater than the carbs as fiber is a carb, but not one your body can access the energy from.

If the fiber is greater than the carbs on the package, then fiber has already been deducted from the total carbs and the carb number would be net carbs

:lol:
    I'm sure it's clear as mud for the OP now.
  • NGentRD
    NGentRD Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Should I be tracking my SF Metamucil packet in regards to net carbs on Keto?? Hard to find info but it seems like a fiber supplement itself cannot cancel itself out, if that makes sense...
    Fibre will never be higher than carbs. If you’ve eaten 70 grams of carbs but 35 of it is fiber then you have 35 net carbs and you’ve hit your fiber goal (maybe) so track the Metamucil as it will help bring your fiber up without bringing your carbs up, as you are right, because they cancel out!

• josiereside1
    josiereside1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

:lol:
    I'm sure it's clear as mud for the OP now.

LOL you are correct cmriverside!
  • josiereside1
    josiereside1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I added it to the Carb Manager app and it is total of 6 carbs, 3 net with 3 grams of fiber... total of 23 cals