Keto Question

Options
dewit
dewit Posts: 1,468 Member
I hear a lot lately about the keto diet.
Anyone vegetarian and on keto? Just curious.

Replies

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Once in a while someone will post asking about putting the two together (which are pretty opposite ways of eating for the most part), but I don't know of anyone who's actually followed through with doing it for any length of time. It would be a pretty restrictive (and most likely boring) way of eating.

No harm in trying it and seeing how you like it, but just realize keto is the current popular fad diet right now, so that's why you're hearing about it so much. It will go out of style as soon as the next new shiny thing comes along ;)
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian Keto would restrict most foods from your diet. Seems like it would be much easier to just do vegetarian and eat the foods you like just at a calorie deficit.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    The Low Carber Daily mfp group has some links on it. There are a small few who do vegetarian or vegan keto but it is harder than is you include meats. Those who are vegetarian or vegan for ethical or taste reasons, and ketogenic for health reasons, seem to make it work.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I'm ovo-lacto vegetarian and tried keto for six weeks for migraine management to see if it helped (it didn't).

My carb allowance was slightly higher since I'm active, so I did get to fit in some stuff like full fat Greek yogurt and cottage cheese. My other protein sources were protein powder and eggs.

Tofu is low carb, but I don't tolerate soy so it was a no-go for me. Some of the commercial meatless products are also fairly low carb, but I have food tolerance issues with those too. YMMV.
  • dewit
    dewit Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. Some very pertinent answers, highly appreciated.

I am not vegetarian, I just wondered...

Also don't have much to loose. Not much into diets, MFP is my way of life 😉.