Eating late

Options
Does anyone here still lose weight successfully if they eat close to bedtime? I seem to consume more calories in the evening and before bed, not sure if this will sabotage my efforts... calories are good for the day!

Replies

• alijoan11
    alijoan11 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Such a relief to hear this!
  • lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    It's now 9:22PM where I am. I'm just about to have supper. I'll probably snack later. No issues. (Well. I'll admit that on the night before my weekly weigh-in I may stop eating earlier than usual, but that's about it.)

whatever works for you love...😁
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    alijoan11 wrote: »
    Does anyone here still lose weight successfully if they eat close to bedtime?

Yep, I eat my last snack at about 11 pm. :)

• wendyheath32
    wendyheath32 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Been eating at 10-11 pm due to medication for a couple years now and I got to my goal weight no worries.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    alijoan11 wrote: »
    Does anyone here still lose weight successfully if they eat close to bedtime? I seem to consume more calories in the evening and before bed, not sure if this will sabotage my efforts... calories are good for the day!

Bold is the key thing, different eating patterns simply suit different people. Those patterns can help or hinder a person's adherence or influence their overall calorie consumption especially for people who don't track their intake / calorie count.

An interesting read on the subject - https://examine.com/nutrition/does-eating-at-night-make-it-more-likely-to-gain-weight/
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    I've begun practicing OMAD not starting my feeding until the sun has set so, therefore, I will be eating all of my calories probably within 1-3 hours of bedtime. I don't expect any complications.
  • stephanieturner0122
    stephanieturner0122 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've found that I have better weight loss success when I go to bed by 9:30 p.m. or 10 p.m. When I stay up later, I get hungry again and end up ruining an otherwise successful day by tacking on a few hundred extra calories.
  • Opalescent_Topaz
    Opalescent_Topaz Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I eat a small lunch, a big dinner, and a snack before bedtime. It's what works for me, and if I don't eat that snack I wake up at like 4 AM hungry. I just keep it all within my calorie limit.
  • mstheglitch
    mstheglitch Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My work schedule runs until 2 am and I head to bed at 4 am, up at noon. This is my usual schedule all week, even on the weekends. My weight loss has been on point even if I eat all the way up right until bedtime. I just log everything I eat and I've had no problems.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I usually eat my last meal around 8:30-9pm, I usually go to bed around 9:30-10. I tend to have a pretty light breakfast to compensate, but I'm usually not that hungry in the morning (usually just thirsty), so it works for me.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I'm a natural night eater. Never really that hungry during the day so I save my calories and eat like 80% of them between 8pm and bedtime.

The only valid reason I can remember hearing against eating late/before bed is that it disturbs some peoples sleep. I sleep fine after eating. Well, that's not entirely true. I do suffer from bouts of insomnia but it's completely unrelated to eating (or not eating) before bed.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    i sleep great after 300 cal of oatmeal