Anyone else go though phases where your just not hungry??

Options
So I’ve lost around 24 pounds. My goal is to eat 1500 calories and lose about a pound a week. This week I am not hungry!! Like having a hard time eating 1200 calories a day.
Should I be forcing myself to eat more or just allow my body to do what feels right?

Replies

• Susanna527
    Susanna527 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    Wondering what the cause of the lack of appetite is, though.........You really need to eat to give your body the proper nutrients, but it must be hard to eat when you're not hungry. I've NEVER had that problem.......*sigh*
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    My appetite waxes and wanes, I listen to my body. But I also choose to be responsible and get in some nutrition until it gets back on track. Mindfulness is key.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I do, especially right after a workout. I've noticed my appetite tends to trend along with my mood at times. Like if I'm super stressed with work I don't typically seem to be quite as hungry.

Personally even on days/weeks like that I try to keep the calories and macros as close to normal as possible. That's where stuff like protein shakes come into play for me, I can slam down two scoops post workout and have a quick 240 calories and 48 grams of protein without forcing myself to eat.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    My appetite comes and goes - I generally attribute it to hormones. I usually take low-appetite days as an opportunity to eat calorie-dense foods that I like, like cheese and ice cream, as I can eat small portions and feel satisfied, but I'm not hungry later because my appetite is nil, lol.
  • Luciicul
    Luciicul Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Yep, I’m Week 5 of my diet, and not feeling hungry for the last couple weeks. Also just had TTOM and felt completely unappatised by food (kind of repulsed by food). I made myself eat anyway because I want to make sure I am getting proper nutrition, but ate less than usual.

Hunger is controlled by hormones, and I think you can only ‘listen to your body’ if you are confident it is sending the right signals - which it doesn’t always.
  • rdthoms
    rdthoms Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I wish!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    oh man I WISH. not even a little tiny bit!
    I mean i'm not actually hungry often but i'm not ever UNABLE to eat my goal calories and go thru days where i am just HUUNNNNGRRY.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Yes. If I am really depressed like after a bad breakup in the past or really happy and in love I can not eat for days. These periods dont last long though.
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry, then what you're eating is filling you. Check your macros and your micros, if they're all good, REJOICE! If not, you don't have to up your calories, just change the foods around so that you're covering all the bases.
  • lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    They cut the ghrelin out of me....so i don't get hungry. oftentimes my blood sugar level goes down too low because of this....like in the 50's. So as to prevent this, I must eat nevertheless and to nutrititize my body.....yeah i made that word up....😁
  • meganreid163
    meganreid163 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I noticed my appetite cycles with my monthly cycle. 1 week is super easy to keep a deficit, 2 weeks are moderately easy, and the last week I want to eat all the things. The week where it is super easy, I do not make myself eat up to my calorie goal because I figure in the end it balances out with the week in which I am ravenous.

Omg this is so me. The day I get my period I don’t want to eat for a week. I definitely thinks that it has to do with my cycle. I think I’m not going to force myself to eat I know I’ll make up the calories eventually.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I noticed my appetite cycles with my monthly cycle. 1 week is super easy to keep a deficit, 2 weeks are moderately easy, and the last week I want to eat all the things. The week where it is super easy, I do not make myself eat up to my calorie goal because I figure in the end it balances out with the week in which I am ravenous.

Omg this is so me. The day I get my period I don’t want to eat for a week. I definitely thinks that it has to do with my cycle. I think I’m not going to force myself to eat I know I’ll make up the calories eventually.

Just agreeing with all this. During menstruation and a couple of days after I'm barely hungry most days but during my ovulation week? I'm ravenous. It tapers until I get my period again.
  • Stellamom2018
    Stellamom2018 Posts: 120 Member
    Options

This exactly.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I do but I'll only allow 100-200 under my deficit goal unless I'm ill. I check my macros to see if my protein and fat numbers are acceptable (sometimes my fat numbers are low and it makes me cranky) and if they are ballpark goal then I'll just eat the calories later in the week.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    There are definitely some days I am not as hungry. And some I’m extra hungry. Funny, I’ve noticed it usually evens out by weeks end when I look at my fitbit average weekly calories.

Personally, if I’m not hungry I don’t eat. Within reason. And same goes for if I AM hungry, I eat. Within reason. 🤷‍♀️
  • KayHBE
    KayHBE Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    At dinner time last night I was not hungry but I did eat a small amount of chicken, berries and some snapea crisps. I expected to be extremely hungry this morning but I still have the same 'not hungry' feeling. I will eat to calorie goal today, but it just doesn't make sense.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    My appetite comes and goes and it has for as long as I can remember. I doesn't phase me that much if it is a single lc day so I just go with whatever happens because I like to stay in my routine. If it happens on a consecutive day I reach for things like the PB jar.