Building up to C25K

Starting next week (if the weather cooperates), I plan on starting to walk a few times a week after dinner. I'd like to work up to doing C25K eventually, but I'm currently too out of shape to keep up with the program. Currently, I know I can walk about a half mile before needing to take a rest. Its pretty pitiful, but that's where I'm at.

I was thinking of walking an extra quarter mile a week until I'm up to a full mile and then start adding in some intermittent jogging. I figure that once I can do at least a mile with half of that being jogging, I should be able to start C25k.

Is there a better way to build up stamina and/or get in better running shape? Does my plan sound reasonable?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    rhaiin wrote: »
    Starting next week (if the weather cooperates), I plan on starting to walk a few times a week after dinner. I'd like to work up to doing C25K eventually, but I'm currently too out of shape to keep up with the program. Currently, I know I can walk about a half mile before needing to take a rest. Its pretty pitiful, but that's where I'm at.

I was thinking of walking an extra quarter mile a week until I'm up to a full mile and then start adding in some intermittent jogging. I figure that once I can do at least a mile with half of that being jogging, I should be able to start C25k.

Is there a better way to build up stamina and/or get in better running shape? Does my plan sound reasonable?

being able to walk for 30-40 minutes at a brisk pace will put you in a good place to start c25k.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    C25k is made for those who have 0 running/jogging experience. So I don't think you need to be able to jog at all before starting it. However I do think it is a good idea to be able to walk at least for 30 minutes, which is the length of the C25k workout. Once you get comfortable with that, you can give it a go.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Thank you both. I just don't want to try to get started on C25K and get too discouraged and give up.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    edited March 2019
    Thank you both. I just don't want to try to get started on C25K and get too discouraged and give up.

I hadn't run since I was about 16 when I started it (last year at the age of 35). Once you can walk comfortably for a while it's really not so hard. I have never made it to 5k yet but I can jog about 3-4km comfortably.

When you do decide to give it a try, make sure you have good supportive footwear, warm up and cool down properly and don't try to go as fast as you can, just take it slow. Also don't be discouraged if you can't manage, just do what you can, I've repeated some of the weeks in the past or done a variant between the current and the next week.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member

I agree with the others. Be sure you can walk briskly for 30 minutes before starting C25K.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I trained for my first 5K last summer with a fitness club that was offering a learn-to-run program. They stated that they were basing the program on C25K and their requirement was that participants could walk at least 60 minutes on level terrain. They might have been setting the bar a bit higher in order to weed out the people thinking, "Well, I can do 20... how big a difference can 10 more minutes possibly make?"

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    I am currently doing c25k. I have been building up my walking over the past year prior to starting.

I recommend focusing on minutes instead of miles. If you can only walk ten minutes at a time start there. Increase the frequency or the duration as you get stronger. I built up to 60 minutes walking daily before starting c25k. I likely could have started a bit sooner but I was really nervous.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Here is a beginner walking program that will get you up to walking for 30 minutes: https://www.heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/@wcm/@fc/documents/downloadable/ucm_449261.pdf
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member

As others have said, repeat weeks if necessary. The goal is to improve fitness, right? It's ok to go slowly and repeat weeks until you feel ready to move on. Congratulations on wanting to start. I agree with others also that being able to walk for 30 minutes is a good idea before starting the C25K program.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    When I started out I struggled to walk for 5 mins a even a slow pace, so I started by building that up to 30min, adding 1min each time I got on the treadmill.

Once I could walk at a slow pace for the 30min I used the c25k app, but instead of running I did intervals of faster walking. Then once I was walking for 30mins at the faster pace i started it again with an even faster pace. Eventually I was walking for 30mins at 5km/hr and then was ready to start c25k.

3 years on and Sunday just gone I ran 19miles.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I agree, be able to walk briskly 30-45 min, or even 60 if you want some cushion. C25k intends for you to repeat any weeks that are too difficult and lots of people do. I went from barely waking 1/4 mile to running 5k, so it can be done regardless of where you start. Be consistent, progress slowly but steadily as your body allows.
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    You are getting great advice.

Start with walking and the. Try 15 second strides to get comfortable. Just one or two at a time. C25k has been great for several of my friends.

Running is the best drug, my longest lasting love, and a dopamine enhancer. I hope you get to your goal!
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member

Are you sure you want to to this? It can really mess with you head, and you might end up enjoy running. Before you know it, you might find yourself browsing the web for new trainers, and you learn to use new words, words you might never have spoken before, like Strava and Garmin. And you WILL find yourself watching endless hours of videos on Youtube, wanting to become a better runner.

Just a fair warning!
  • kodiakke
    kodiakke Posts: 379 Member
    z4oslo wrote: »

Are you sure you want to to this? It can really mess with you head, and you might end up enjoy running. Before you know it, you might find yourself browsing the web for new trainers, and you learn to use new words, words you might never have spoken before, like Strava and Garmin. And you WILL find yourself watching endless hours of videos on Youtube, wanting to become a better runner.

Just a fair warning!

This is EXACTLY what is happening with me. C25K last year, and suddenly BAM. Garmin last year. New trainers in January. Strava in February. I found myself on YouTube last week looking up running videos... dang, I feel seen now.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

Just a fair warning!

I don't watch anything on YouTube about running... that must be where I'm going wrong :laugh:
  • HaleCry
    HaleCry Posts: 386 Member
    I know you want to built up with it, but I think that’s only necessary is you’re EXTREMELY unfit. Eg, can’t walk for a couple of minutes. Eh I I started, I couldn’t job the whole 60 seconds to begin with, but I slowed right down and kept up with the program, repeated weeks if I had to (but I didn’t need to), and now I run 30 minutes 5 days a week. Who’d have thought I’d ever be able to run 5 minutes non stop, let alone 30!

Give it a go, just take it slow. My jogging pace was slower than my walking pace to begin with.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member

Just a fair warning!

I'm sure that I'd like to try at least. I've always wanted to be able to do a color run, mud run or bubble run. I do have some issues with my knees, so I don't know if marathons and such are ever going to be a possibility, but I still want to try.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I do have supportive shoes already, so that shouldn't be an issue. I will follow the suggestions of focusing on time rather than miles. I feel like I can do this. I'm looking forward to starting next week. This cold spell will be done on Sunday.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member

Just a fair warning!

I'm sure that I'd like to try at least. I've always wanted to be able to do a color run, mud run or bubble run. I do have some issues with my knees, so I don't know if marathons and such are ever going to be a possibility, but I still want to try.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I do have supportive shoes already, so that shouldn't be an issue. I will follow the suggestions of focusing on time rather than miles. I feel like I can do this. I'm looking forward to starting next week. This cold spell will be done on Sunday.

You can do any of these events without running. Lots of people walk them and have a blast. I still prefer to walk most of my events. There is no shame and NO ONE cares how you do it! Events do have official time limits for keeping the course open and the timers running, but most are very generous even for walkers, and you can still finish irregardless.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member

Just a fair warning!

I don't watch anything on YouTube about running... that must be where I'm going wrong :laugh:

Neither do I. Maybe that's why I'm such a plodder. I do have a trainer that tells me everything I need to be thinking about and working on though