What would be a good endurance goal?

LJay89
LJay89 Posts: 91 Member
Trying to up the old cardio get a bit fitter in that respect. What would be a good endurance goal to go for??

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,477 Member
    If you like cycling, get involved in randonneuring / audax. :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    What's your favourite CV sport or activity? (Cardio is far too broad a term.)
    What is your current level?

When I started cycling my goals ramped up over time as my fitness and endurance improved.
    20 miles, 50 miles, metric Century (100km), Century (100 miles), 200km.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    Well it depends where you’re cardio fitness level is at right now. I’m a distance runner, so partial to that. It’s simple and requires minimal equipment. But do what you enjoy and will continue doing.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    what kind of things do you like doing? endurance could be training for a marathon; doing long distance swims; cycling; rucking; multi-day events etc
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    edited March 2019
    It's personal. Ask yourself: "What do I want to do?" There's your goal. Of course, like everything else in life, once you achieve it, another will pop up to take it's place. There is never A "goal", there is a never ending series of steps, hopefully leading upward and better.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Depends what you enjoy doing. I run and my current endurance goal is to get through 2 marathons 2 weeks apart. This time last year it was to get through the 1 and the year before it was to complete a 5k. So even in one activity it's all relative.

When I can't get out to do my long run my endurance goal is 2hrs of steady state cardio .(definitely more mind over matter than actual ability as so boring).

Then I have other goals for a few other things, that I guess could be considered endurance if you consider I'd like to be able to do more of them without stopping.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited March 2019
    LJay89 wrote: »
    Trying to up the old cardio get a bit fitter in that respect. What would be a good endurance goal to go for??

depends what you like doing cardio-wise?

I'm a runner, my ultimate goal this year is to run a marathon.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member

Where are you right now (can you run 5K, 10K or more.....do you like running?) ? What would be your idea of fun? One of my goals for this year is a half-iron distance triathlon but it's a 100% personal thing.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    I'm a hiker so my endurance goal is a long thru hike.

What are the cardio exercises that you like?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    25% more than what you can currently do. When you achieve that, 25% more etc.Try to increase 10% at a time towards your next goal..
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 701 Member
    Triathlon, adventure race, obstacle course race, duathlon, etc etc

I'm doing a trail half marathon
    Depends what you like....
  • LJay89
    Sorry I realise I was quite broad. I like doing strongman activities I guess... dragging a dog sledge, working with the atlas (lighter versions!), I don't mind treadmill so I guess running would be quite nice.

The thing is I am quite strong as I lift but cardio wise I can't run a mile.

I want something that I can do anywhere so perhaps running. I have access to a bike but I live in a flat so dragging it up and down is a pain.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Sorry I realise I was quite broad. I like doing strongman activities I guess... dragging a dog sledge, working with the atlas (lighter versions!), I don't mind treadmill so I guess running would be quite nice.

I want something that I can do anywhere so perhaps running. I have access to a bike but I live in a flat so dragging it up and down is a pain.

there you go then, start with the goal of running a mile

• LJay89

there you go then, start with the goal of running a mile

Yes I think that will be a good plan. Thanks!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member

Sounds like great training for cyclocross. :smiley:
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Short, medium, or long term?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,816 Member

Since it sounds like you're used to structure in your workouts, and are thinking of running, a couch to 5K (C25K) app might be appealing.