High Cholesterol

Options
Need to lower cholesterol, what foods should I eat ? No animal fats I know.. anything else ?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2019
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Egg yolks!

(People are probably tired of hearing about the experiment I conducted on myself to lower my cholesterol.)

Did you eat more or less? I haven't heard your story.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Egg yolks!

(People are probably tired of hearing about the experiment I conducted on myself to lower my cholesterol.)

Did you eat more or less? I haven't heard your story.

Thank you for asking! :)

The only thing I did was add a whole egg (sometimes two but not often) and some egg whites to my diet. Nothing else changed except for the calories of the egg and egg white (100) replacing something bready or chocolately. And trust me, I'm not shy about eating anything bready or chocolately. :)The rest of my diet, exercise, or hell, even weight didn't change over the time period (I actually can't remember how long it was but it might about been about 6 months. My doctor got tired of me asking for them to test my cholesterol). Both LDL and triglycerides went down 7 points in total.

*curtsies*

Disclaimer: I'm sure any food with cholesterol you shouldn't be scared to eat will do.

Nice. I am a big fan of whole eggs. And even more of fatty fish. My current experiment is i have increased seafood consumption to 2-3x a week (from 1x) to see if i get improvements to my LDL which hasn't really changed (thank you parents).
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm not a dr and your results may differ but an insurance actuary once told me that people who eat oatmeal 4 + times a week typically have low cholesterol. She said it sweeps the crap away!
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    For most people, dietary cholesterol doesn't have a big impact on blood cholesterol. Regular exercise, and weight loss if needed, generally have a much greater impact on lowering blood cholesterol.

Thank you for this. I still see people villifying eggs and shrimp when they are actually not going to impact one's cholesterol negatively.

I had gained weight last year and my cholesterol was borderline high. High cholesterol runs in my family and is somewhat genetic. I eat more eggs and shrimp now than I ever have, and with just a 10 lb weight loss, my cholesterol is back to normal.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    The changes that I made that now have my cholesterol back to "normal" levels (My HDL is too low by like 1 pt of normal so I am working on bringing this up more):
    - Losing weight
    - Increasing fiber and whole grains
    - Increasing fish
    - Being more active

Those are really the only changes I made. I went from everything being quite a bit off, to almost totally normal with these changes and my weight loss was only 8 lbs so far (1.5 months).

If you have a family history of high cholesterol it can be a constant battle to try and stay normal... and you may not be able to on your own.
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    My doctor said my high cholesterol was genetic and so I am on daily medication for the rest of my life.
  • outofthisworldemail
    outofthisworldemail Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    My doctor suggested fish oil once a day and red rice yeast twice a day. That along with a healthier diet and exercise. Just over two months later and I'm seeing a big improvement. I still need to get my numbers down some but they're a lot better than what they were before. Good luck.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I'm not a dr and your results may differ but an insurance actuary once told me that people who eat oatmeal 4 + times a week typically have low cholesterol. She said it sweeps the crap away!

I have a relative who swears by oatmeal now. She had high cholesterol and is already a healthy weight/active etc. She read about the oatmeal trick and added it to her daily menu and she now has better cholesterol numbers (I've seen her blood work panels and it really has improved).

It might not hurt to add oatmeal to your diet and see if it helps.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I have been eating oatmeal for 25 years, six days a week for breakfast. Raw with skim milk and fruit. I have the cleanest arteries anywhere. The cardiac catheterization doc at the Cleveland Clinic told me to go home and have a bacon sandwich. I attribute it to oatmeal since my diet is very high in cholesterol.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »

I have a relative who swears by oatmeal now. She had high cholesterol and is already a healthy weight/active etc. She read about the oatmeal trick and added it to her daily menu and she now has better cholesterol numbers (I've seen her blood work panels and it really has improved).

It might not hurt to add oatmeal to your diet and see if it helps.

The benefit to oatmeal is the soluble fiber. Other grains have some but oats have a good amount. One can also supplement with Psyllium Husk. That works well also. Soluble fiber helps block the absorption of cholesterol.
  • janisclan5
    janisclan5 Posts: 20 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Three years ago I lost 50 pounds, began logging foods focusing on healthy. I. Don’t eat butter, high fats, chips or hardly any sweets. I get 10,000 steps at work and walk 4.5 miles 2-3 times a week as well as work with weights 1-2 times a week . Lots of fruits , vegetables, things like chia, flax, almonds, green tea, avacado, and occasionally dark chocolate. I don’t know what else to tweak! Recentl blood work has me over the top:(( Was hoping to avoid medication. Apparently it’s familial.