Can't stay in a calorie deficit

Options
vvinoca
vvinoca Posts: 2 Member
edited March 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey Everyone!

I've been very lean up until the age of 19. That's when I started college and started to have trouble with binging. I've gained a lot of weight that year. Last January I decided to finally lose the weight and fix my eating habits. I ended up losing 17 kgs by June and keeping it off since then. Right now I'm 21 yo and 179cm/68kg. I want to lose 5-6 more kilograms, but I can't seem to stay in a calorie deficit no matter what I do or how much/what I eat. I always end up binging on something and bringing my weekly 'calorie balance' to 0. (maintenance)
I don't think I'm restricting myself too much. I have a sweet tooth so I always allow myself little treats few times a week. I only want to stay in a 200-300 calorie deficit. It sounds ridiculous or as an excuse but I feel like my body doesn't want me to lose any more weight.

One more thing: I know that my weight is already in the healthy range and I know I don't HAVE TO lose weight. The thing is that I've been training to be a professional ballet dancer up until the age of 17. I restarted ballet this year and I'm trying to get in shape which includes losing a few more kgs so please let's not argue about my goals :smiley:

Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    what rate of loss did you put in MFP? are you eating all those calories PLUS exercise calories?
    how long are you able to eat at that rate?
  • vvinoca
    vvinoca Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    what rate of loss did you put in MFP? are you eating all those calories PLUS exercise calories?
    how long are you able to eat at that rate?

I chose the slowest 'Lose .25kg kgs per week' option. I am eating all those calories + the exercise calories but maybe I am underestimating my exercise? That's one reason that came to my mind.
    I usually mess up after 5-6 days.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Have you taken a look at what macros you are eating (carbs/fat/protein)? Some people feel fuller after eating different levels of macros. For me, if I don't get enough protein, I tend to binge. Too many carbs and not enough protein seem to "trigger" my desire to binge.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    are you starving (like actually hungry VS bored/emotionally hungry)? or do you just get bored and fall off the rails? or is the weekends the issue (since you say 5-6days)?

part of this IS mind over matter and planning.

how much are you eating (calorie goal)?
  • phoebe1975
    phoebe1975 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My daughter was also training to be a professional dancer, and we used to joke that the two main food groups for professional ballet dancers were red bull and cigarettes lol. But seriously, dance is HARD and I can only imagine the calories dancers expend. I would expect the pounds you want to lose to come off very slowly though if you just have a little to lose. Like, shoot for a pound a month- it might take longer to lose but you will be able to fuel those workouts and your performance will be better.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I have recently been battling the same issue and I had to face reality with myself, I am not genuinely hungry when I tend to over eat. I have been trying to track my binges and compare them to what is going on in my life. I have learned that I actually tend to binge when I am genuinely happy and content, odd I know. I think that I am just very happy with where I am in my life right now and I am eating out of emotion. I also found it odd that when I am sad or upset I tend to eat less but when I am happy I tend to say "aw man I am feeling so good what can it hurt to have some of this, that, and the other thing?" I also tend to over eat in joyful social occasions such as a wedding or birthday party. I feel like I am not explaining this very well but my point is try and track not only your binges but also how you feel when you binge.