In college ready to lose 30 pounds!!

Options
Anyone else going through the same thing?? It's hard to balance eating healthy with school work so looking for people who are on the same page :)

Replies

• LMStark
    LMStark Posts: 150
    Options
    I am going through the same thing as well! Feel free to add me. :smile:
  • taranicole8402
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I also work about 20 hours a week, and of course like at school, the cafeteria food is cheap so it appeals to me, but so high in fats and calories. It's just really really difficult to get in good healthy (and cheap!!!) meals while always on the go, so I usually end up with a piece of pizza, hamburger, etc... sigh....
    :(
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i just graduated (YES!!!) so i know what you are going though and i managed to lose 30 while finishing my masters.

my tips:
    1. be active (walk every where you can, take the stairs, etc)
    2. exercising makes you focus while studying better
    3. bring healthy snacks to munch on so you don't have to do vending machines
    4. if you go to a party or out to eat with friends, plan it as best as you can in your allotted calories for the day.

feel free to friend me :-)
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    heading back to college on the 28th! It's so hard, the healthiest choices get old so quickly, and with constant pizza and sweets and no time for the gym.....jeeze!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you'd like! I just graduated in May, but my last semester I balanced losing 20lbs with school work, getting ready for graduation, working, and looking for a job! I was always busy (which is a plus for losing weight). I found a key ingredient was ALWAYS setting aside at least 30 min for physical activity 5 times a week. It can be rigorous or just a short walk. Being active every day helped my energy level. I was more motivated to stay on track and work harder in school. Also, my mood from day to day improved, I slept better and was always a bit more positive. That's great, right?

So, if you need some motivation, hit a bad spot, or just want some tips or food ideas. Please feel free to talk to me!! I'd love to help anyway I can.
  • SuperJess925
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, starting my second year of college in a few weeks & I'm trying to lose that Freshman 15! Ahh, the stress of nursing school haha. It just makes me want to eat cookies & cake!

Feel free to add me though, I'm new here too & would love to meet some new friends! :)
  • BrightEyedandHealthy
    Options
    Nice to know others have gone through this :)
  • orangecrayon
    orangecrayon Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm in college, too! Sophomore year. Trying to lose 10 pounds minimum by Christmas; hopefully 20 pounds by next June. It's difficult. We can help each other out! Add me if you want. I'm pretty new and need some friends. We can help each other out :)
  • bellaxero
    Options
    Doing the same thing, i work full time and take 3-4 classes a semester and i gained like a madman, im down halfway to goal now so woo! lol

Welcome and add me if you like :]
  • almille
    almille Posts: 89
    Options
    School is a challenging place to lose weight, that's for sure. My weak spot is free food, and it seems like every campus group known to man offers free pizza to get people's attention! How could I pass up free calories when I'm so poor?

Take advantage of the free gym. That was my favorite part of campus life. Free classes and facilities, and a lot less intimidating than a membership gym. The exercise always helped me have more effective, shorter study sessions anyway. Walk everywhere on campus. Make time to pack your lunch and snacks. It might even save some time during the day because you don't have to leave what you're doing to find food. That said, I always ate more and worse if I ate while studying, and was much more satisfied if I put it aside to eat my meal undistracted.