Comparing average daily weight loss - before and since tracking on MFP

Options
OK so I'm an analytical guy, I can't help myself.

Decided to compare my average daily weight loss for #1 = when I started MFP through today to #2 = when I began my current fitness, health and wellness journey to starting MFP.

I began my current journey on 8/31/2018 and joined MFP on 10/28/2018 and have logged every day since then. Prior to joining MFP, I kept track of what I was eating in my mind's eye but had a daily calories goal that was comparable to what MFP told me once punching in my info.

Before MFP - 11.5 lbs. lost in 58 days which is an average daily weight loss of 0.2 lbs. or 1.4 lbs. a week.

Since MFP - 23.2 lbs. lost in 128 days which is an average daily weight loss of 0.18 lbs. or 1.26 lbs. a week.

Total weight loss through today = 34.0 lbs. which is an average daily weight loss of 0.18 lbs. or 1.26 lbs. a week.

Sharing this for FWIW.

Replies

• Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you slightly underestimate calories when you are not counting them, but in general are pretty good about intuitively estimatting. Great for long term maintenance if you don’t want to count.

Honestly, I’m the same. I can be very good at accurately guessing calorie amounts. And I’ve successfully lost weight that way before too. Where I get lost, is sometimes i ignore what i know....especially at a mexican restaurant. Haha. And sometimes, frankly, it’s just easier to use mfp for accountability. And also to get averages over the course of time. Ie, i love how mfp syncs with my fitbit so I can see what my averages are over a whole week and not just any given day. And then I can see overall trends with steps, weight loss, etc.

Anyways, you should do what works for you. Mfp, when used properly, will always work. But some people do not need it. So...🤷‍♀️
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I wonder how your rate of loss was affected by reduced weight too. Did you lower your daily calorie limit as you lost?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Like many people, you lost slightly faster the first few weeks. Good job!