Counting calories for pizza

Options
speekee
speekee Posts: 13 Member
Hi, all! I’m sorry if this is a dumb question....how do you count calories for pizza from a non-chain restaurant or take out?
I’m in the US. Are they required to provide that info if I ask?

Thanks!

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Pizza is fortunately one of the easier ones to estimate because there's so many options to compare. Many of my town's local chains will list sizes by inches (12", 14", etc) which makes it even easier. Never perfect, of course, but easier.

To answer the second question, unless they are of a certain size (I think 50 locations in the US, but don't quote me on that), they are not required to list calories, and in fact probably don't know themselves.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I don’t think small places are required to provide calories, but it wouldn’t hurt to ask.
    Nowadays, I usually make my own pizza so I use the recipe builder.
    You could use a generic entry for the type of pizza to be close.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    It’s tough! Is usually just go with whatever Dominos or Pizza Hut has. They’re pretty greasy and it’s better to just be a bit over than under. If it’s like a neapolitan style pizza made from high quality ingredients, than I tend to estimate a bit less.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Most restaurants in the US are required now to post their calorie counts on their menus, so they may have them if you are in the restaurant. If not, you can try to ask for them. If neither of those work, I agree with trying your best to find a similar item in the database from a chain restaurant and use that.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Most restaurants in the US are required now to post their calorie counts on their menu

I think the posting of calories is mandatory only if there are over a certain number of the same restaurants. At least that’s my understanding.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Most restaurants in the US are required now to post their calorie counts on their menu

I think the posting of calories is mandatory only if there are over a certain number of the same restaurants. At least that’s my understanding.

You are correct. It appears to be 20 or more restaurants. I was reading one article that implied it was everywhere but everything else says 20 or more.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    speekee wrote: »
    Hi, all! I’m sorry if this is a dumb question....how do you count calories for pizza from a non-chain restaurant or take out?
    I’m in the US. Are they required to provide that info if I ask?

Thanks!

I usually use one of the national chain restaurants, but be mindful of slice size. Some independent places make much larger pies than the chains. I actually ordered a large pie from Dominoes once just to get a feel for the slice sizes and found a "regular" slice at my local place was more like a "large" slice from Dominoes. Plus it was an excuse to order a pizza - to make my logging better! :wink:
  • speekee
    speekee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all! You all are so helpful! I’ve learned so much from this community!