I'm gaining weight even though I'm sticking to my diet

Options
So I've settled into a diet for a week or so but it doesn't seem to be working, but instead is making me gain weight.

According to my fitness pal every day I stay under 1300 calories so I really don't know what's going on.

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Patience, patience, patience. You didn't gain overnight and you won't lose overnight. Lots of things cause weight fluctuations. Until you've been at this at least a month, you can't really evaluate anything.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    How much weight have you gained and over what period of time? Did you start a new fitness routine alongside the new diet, by chance?

Weight fluctuates from day to day for everyone based on things like hydration levels, food and waste in the system, exercise, hormones, macro balance, etc. Sometimes those fluctuations make it look like we're gaining weight in the short term even when we aren't. It's just a high reading masking the fat loss that's happening.

That's what it sounds like might be happening here, but it's really tough to tell without more info. Setting your diary to public for a little while or sharing more details might help us give you more specific advice. But mostly, dig in, double-check that you're logging as accurately as possible (ideally using a food scale, not trusting the barcode scanner or green check marks too much, using the recipe builder, not using generic or homemade entries in the database, accounting for cooking oils, drinks, veggies, etc), and give it a few weeks before you panic. Bodies are weird and those weight fluctuations can really mess with your head sometimes.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    firstly - yes many won't see a difference for a few weeks, that's normal.

secondly - are you using a food scale and weighing all solids? how are you measuring? are you super careful on selecting entry (they are user based so there are many incorrect ones). weighing raw VS cooked (and ensuring appropriate entry)?

thirdly - have you started a new exercise or increased exercise?

lasty - our weight varies daily based on stuff like water and what we've not expelled and random other things. so even if it's "up" it doesn't mean you gained weight. it's just a data point.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    You can only gain weight if you are eating too much and/or not exercising enough.

The solution is to eat less and/or exercise more.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • bobthecoolsmileyface
    bobthecoolsmileyface Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the all the replies, you've given me some insight to what could have caused this. I'll try to do more exercise and after this week is over and I can finally cook at home again and regulate my calorie intake better.
  • bobthecoolsmileyface
    bobthecoolsmileyface Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

I've set it on public if you want to have a look.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I've set it on public if you want to have a look.

It's not public yet. Maybe there is a Save or Update button at the bottom you still need to click?