Motivation

Options
How do you motivate yourself or remain motivated when things start feeling stagnant? I'm just getting started but already I'm struggling with wanting to eat junk food.

Replies

• iateallthepies84
    iateallthepies84 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This photo, taken on Thurs, and many others like it. I hate to see how fat I have become! ARGH!!!

3g39yefxghpz.png
  • mummy_h
    mummy_h Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    This photo, taken on Thurs, and many others like it. I hate to see how fat I have become! ARGH!!!

3g39yefxghpz.png

You are not fat!! X
  • mummy_h
    mummy_h Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    How do you motivate yourself or remain motivated when things start feeling stagnant? I'm just getting started but already I'm struggling with wanting to eat junk food.

I think its important to make sure you eat regularly, keep fruit in to snack on. Have you got photo of when you were the weight you want to be. I find that helps. When you are hungryeat before you get to that place where you will eat anything and drink plenty of water. Remember why you started doing this xx
  • iateallthepies84
    iateallthepies84 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I really feel it. I only want to lose about a stone, I am 12st 3 lbs at the moment. I used to be slim in my 20s, but I just cannot get away with what I used to. The post gig pizzas are starting to catch up with me! :D Still, it is all relative. I find it hard to stay motivated, especially when results are slow to come, but I keep reminding myself that I put it on slowly too. Hang in there everyone! We can do this! x
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Avoid the junk (it’s easier than having to resist it) - don’t buy it, don’t go to the supermarket aisle with it in, avoid those tempting fast food stores, hide the biscuit tin out of sight at work etc etc. You get my drift. Out of sight out of mind... it may not work 100% of the time but it sure helps.
  • Pickle107
    Pickle107 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Either bring your own post-gig snack/meal with you or just have the one slice of pizza. I'm sure you'll get plenty of willing helpers to polish it off.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I also don't rely on motivation. I rely on the habits I've created. Most of us here are trying to create lifetime habits. For me this includes fitting in what some people call junk. So if I'm really craving something I will find a way to fit it into my calories. But I'm also good at moderating foods and some people are not.
  • rdthoms
    rdthoms Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Motivation is important. Many of the replies were more about just what to do. For motivation I need a goal and I need to see my progress toward that goal. The tracker myshape.fitness (google it) is good for setting a body shape goal and then tracking progress toward that.
  • marierobyn09
    marierobyn09 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’m on day one today. Nice to read what you all have to say 👍🏽
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I also don't rely on motivation. I rely on the habits I've created. Most of us here are trying to create lifetime habits. For me this includes fitting in what some people call junk. So if I'm really craving something I will find a way to fit it into my calories. But I'm also good at moderating foods and some people are not.

+1

Totally agree. This is how I approach the mindset of motivation and stability when it comes to diet.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options

QFT. Habits and Discipline > Motivation
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    Options

Good nutrition is important for health, but the concept of "junk food" is a bit arbitrary.

Many things that people call "junk food" have nutrients, and can be part of an overall healthy diet. If you don't plan to eliminate "junk food" from your eating forever, it might be good to figure out how to include some in your eating rotatation, both to avoid the huuuuge temptation of "forbidden foods", and to practice eating in a way that will keep you at a healthy weight permanently . . . and happy at the same time.

Part of "motivation" (or discipline, or habits) is not making things any harder for yourself than is truly necessary.

"Diet foods" and "junk foods" are not opposites. They're all just foods, and any (non-poisonous!) foods can be part of a healthy way of eating, and can generally be eaten within a reduced calorie goal (the question is what portion size, and how often).

If there are foods you can't moderate once you eat some, it may make sense to keep them out of the house (and out of your mouth) for a while. But generally, it makes sense to keep eating some of various foods you really enjoy, and are capable of moderating, as part of your eating, while reducing calories.
  • mroloff
    mroloff Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    I don't rely on motivation.

I rely on a solid plan and eating at a reasonable deficit. I eat food I enjoy and keep food I love in my day to day "diet". I eat chocolate daily cuz that keep me happy. I just eat smaller portions.

I have food in the house that helps me achieve my goal. the right snacks.

I work my way of eating to ensure I limit how hungry I get (this will be different for everyone - for me volume eating is big so lots of low cal veggies with my protein - but others need more fat!).

I plan meals (or ensure to have quick solid options ready quickly) so I am not hungry at 6pm wondering what to eat - this is when I make BAD choices.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818701/the-myth-of-motivation-and-what-you-need-instead/p1

This. Motivation can get you started but it doesn’t last. Creating better habits sustains progress. Personally, I’ve found planning ahead makes the biggest difference. A few hours meal prepping each weekend means I can just grab pre-cooked, pre-measured meals, snacks, etc and go. I’ve found that when I allow myself to be in a situation where I’m already hungry and have to make a decision, I tend to make bad ones, especially at the office. But if I already have a lunch bag full of meals and snacks that I enjoy and that align with my goals, there’s no decision to make and I stay on plan.