Cheaper alternatives to Shakology

Options
I am just starting beach body and was wondering if there was any cheaper nutritional drinks that are comparable to Shakology?

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    My youngest did Shakology for a time, but gave it up due to cost and horrible taste. Since, she's found that she does better making her own smoothies (of what depends on day and mood) eating properly and exercising where able.

I've personally never had good reason to not make my own as well, whether for simply hitting protein goals or just something refreshing to tide me over.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    There are definitely plenty of other protein shakes out there that are much cheaper than shakeology. Shakeology is in part as expensive as it is because of the multilevel marketing aspect of it. But it all comes down to taste and how much stock you put in the importance of high quality ingredients. Taste is subjective. Some people really like Shakeology, others not so much. From an ingredient perspective, it tends to get pretty high marks from most independent reviews (we don't have Shakeology in my country, but when my wife showed the label to her dietitian, she got the thumbs up), so you may want to look for other ones that are similarly reviewed.

But sometimes a shake can be as simple as some water or milk/almond milk, a piece of fruit, and a scoop of protein powder.

Shakeology is a tool. It can be used in a beneficial way for weight loss, but it is only one tool in an arsenal. Beachbody is obviously very invested in selling to you, but you don't NEED it to have success.
  • ctlinj7
    ctlinj7 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I drank Shakeology on and off for 3 years. I liked it but I found that 1st Phorm Level-1 (found at Supplement Stores) was more affordable for me and more flavors. I love drinking a shake in the morning on my commute in.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Just use protein powder and make a smoothie. Greens, Fruit, liquid, protein powder.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    I did Shakeology for over a year when a good friend was a coach. Felt like I couldn't justify the cost so I too sought an alternative. Ended up replacing it with MyProtein Whey protein and an Optimum Nutrition Multi vitamin and have not noticed a difference.
  • Cant_think_of_a_username
    Options
    You can't beat simple unflavored whey blitzed up with a frozen (over ripe) banana.
  • melvg77
    melvg77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input!
  • Cant_think_of_a_username
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    You can't beat simple unflavored whey blitzed up with a frozen (over ripe) banana.

I'll respectfully disagree; I think bananas are gross and possibly the second-most overrated food (behind corn). YMMV.

I won't dispute the appeal of a simple, low-cost protein shake though.

Oh man alive, you're broken :smiley: Absolute nectar - I spend my whole workout looking forward to my shake (sad aren't I). It sort of reminds me of the banana flavored candy I used to love as a kid.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I would say, maybe a smoothie. I don't know how "healthy" or not they are but those naked or bolthouse farms smoothie drinks are easy and tasty. Or you could just eat regular food lol
  • steveko89
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I would say, maybe a smoothie. I don't know how "healthy" or not they are but those naked or bolthouse farms smoothie drinks are easy and tasty. Or you could just eat regular food lol

I don't think these would be any cheaper or have the same level of protein content. I stay away from Naked, way too many calories in most flavors IMO and always taste gritty. Granted, my tastes are evidently askew since I don't like nasty bananas.
  • steveko89
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    EAT YOUR FOOD! lol that's my thought.

I don't disagree with your premise but it can be difficult for some to meet their protein target (self included) without a protein supplement. Personally, there's added convenience to protein shakes over traditional protein sources for certain meals and situations.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    MyProtein have decent quality stuff at reasonable prices and seem to deliver pretty much to all major countries. They taste pretty good (in my own opinion anyway) and there are often sales on.

Why not just buy some samples of different powders and find one you like that meets the needs you have?
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I found a protein powder with a woman’s multi vitamin on Amazon for $14. My sister in law who is a RD looked over the label when she visited and thought it looked like a good product for me needs.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »

I'll respectfully disagree; I think bananas are gross and possibly the second-most overrated food (behind corn). YMMV.

I won't dispute the appeal of a simple, low-cost protein shake though.

Ahhhhhhh! Bananas are THE BEST! Unfortunately my tummy only allows one a day or I would eat them ALL!

Mixed in a protein shake? Pure heaven :D