Do you feel that gym time is a punishment or does it help you?

Options
The gym is definitely an extra push after a good diet ( Lifestyle change) because it helps burn more calories and gives you an healthy heart

Replies

• IWillTakeBackMyLife
    IWillTakeBackMyLife Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym but I do exercise a lot in my house and it helps me immensely. If I was just doing diet I would not feel as good as I do now. When I am exercising I look at it kind of like I do leveling up on a game. The pain can be unbelievably hard to bear sometimes but I'd never call it a punishment or put it in a negative light, I just look at it like I'm a game character leveling up my strength or something.

It's really dumb but it somehow works for me lol. I tell myself in the moment that what I'm doing is objectively positive and improving my life and it keeps me pushing through the pain because I know it's a good kind of nurturing pain. Not punishment pain.
  • mummy_h
    mummy_h Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I swim and even though getting there is a slog, once im there i feel great
  • Drummager6
    Drummager6 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Trust me it’s not dumb at all it’s a good thing. A lot of people give up on the gym or working out in general because they don’t see any results. They will try anything to lose weight and great speeds but later understand that it takes time for the process of fat loss the begin. Your body has to understand that something is happening to it that it’s never been through and that’s what it needs.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Drummager6 wrote: »
    The gym is definitely an extra push after a good diet ( Lifestyle change) because it helps burn more calories and gives you an healthy heart

I've never set foot in a gym... I have still met my goals...
  • kodiakke
    kodiakke Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I feel like I need the discipline of working out to help me keep steady mentally. Even though I'm mostly running at the moment, I find it's very meditative; it helps me understand what's going on in my head by just letting my body work and freeing up my mind. Honestly, I do believe that for me, if I wasn't working out, I'd have to find some other way to balance myself mentally.
  • Drummager6
    Options
    Yea I understand the gym is always not the answer. You can literally workout from home and lose weight or just simply lower your calorie intake. I just feel a big difference myself because I’m changing my lifestyle and not just how I eat or just by how I workout. If you don’t do both it will be hard to be successful.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    What on earth would it be a punishment for? The gym (and here I am using the gym in the broad term to mean any sort of dedicated physical exercise) has helped me lose weight, get stronger, improve my cardiovascular fitness, and greatly raised my self confidence. It's the opposite of punishment.
  • Drummager6
    Options
    Exactly!!! I don’t see it as a punishment. I couldn’t. I see it as an improvement to my life . It’s helped me live longer , get faster, and help others do the same. I want people to be successful and push to get their goals.
  • itsdd2
    itsdd2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Gym time is absolutely not a punishment. I think that taking a regular class and scheduled check ins help keep you on track and honest with yourself. It's also better to have some interaction with other people rather than plugging away alone, you and your gym buddies can encourage each other, celebrate success and commiserate when it gets hard. etc.
  • itsdd2
    itsdd2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Drummager6 wrote: »

I've never set foot in a gym... I have still met my goals...

That's also a fair comment. You have to choose what works best for you.
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Gym time is my happy time.
  • Drummager6
    Options
    Yea I agree that going away from friends make one forget encouragement to lose weight or maybe it was the reason they want to lose weight alone
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Gym time is Therapy time. Love it
  • Drummager6
    Options
    Most definitely
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I don't go to a gym but working out is fun. Ok I will run in the summer and I hate it but it's a means to an end. The stuff I generally do for fitness are things I love so I'm happy to do them all so exercise is not punishment
  • mcemino2
    mcemino2 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Going to the gym is addicting for me, sometimes don't feel like going, but after I do I feel great.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    The gym is my happy place. It's my church. If I go two straight days without it, I start going a little bonkers
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    0qieskhtkdiw.jpg
  • ScottKipp
    ScottKipp Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Gym shouldn't feel like punishment. It should feel like a challenge, but the payoff is you go in knowing that you are building mental and physical strength. Once you start to feel yourself changing, it becomes such an addictive feeling. The Endorphin release you can achieve if you push yourself is so incredibly satisfying. What Arnold would refer to as "ze pump"