A question for other fellow hikers...

Options
Hello, I have a question for other fellow hikers. I have had several knee injuries (due to sports and the way God made me), but I still love to hike. I see people who use trekking poles all of the time. How much do they help take pressure off the joints, and do they help much to include the upper body in the workout? I am considering them as I have been hiking 2-3 times a week.

Replies

• Ifican
    Ifican Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much pressure you put on them and how you use them. They dont take pressure off so much as you use them for balance and forward momentum. Though i could see you being able to alleviate 10-15 lbs, however if you have never used them your lats are going to be screaming at you before long until you get used to it. You may also want to consider a knee brace.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I love to hike and backpack! ;-) I use trekking poles and they are great. They help the most when you are going downhill especially if you are carrying a pack. I have the Leki Divine poles and they are ultra-light so mine do not really give me an arm workout. If you do not want to invest in an expensive pair go pick up a pair from Walmart, they are in the camping section. Try them out and see if that helps you, I believe they help me hiking.

Happy trails to you!
  • LMStark
    LMStark Posts: 150
    Options
    I do use a knee brace from time to time, but I try not to because I don't want my body to become relient on it. When I do a steep climb, I try to make sure and come down slow and controlled. It makes sense that the lats would take the brunt of it. Thanks!
  • LMStark
    LMStark Posts: 150
    Options
    I have looked at the Leki poles before... I don't mind investing the money if they will help. Thanks!