Sticking to calorie deficits

Options
Im 5 8 and 207 lbs. My daily calorie limit is roughly 1600 a day to lose 1 lb per week. I have a bad habit of eating sweets to unwind at night like cookies ice cream etc. I can never meet my calorie goal, i always exceed it by alot. What can i do without feeling starved and deprived. I need to get this weight off. Its just getting higher and higher of a number

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    How did you come to 1600 calories?
    I am down to 201 by eating 2400 calories a day including ice cream every single day.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    two options:
    - portion out your sweet for that day' to fit in your calorie goal. stick to that. buying things that come in portion control packages can help. take out your portion (weigh it out) then put the item away. if you have a freezer in basement use that one to store ice cream.
    - for the first while if you are unable to stop, get these items out of the house. you can find "safer" alternatives you can control yourself better with. at least for the first while. once you practice good habits you can try bringing them in. I used things like fudgycles and jello-o cups for the first while until I was able to work UP TO having bars of good quality chocolate in the house and EAT ONLY ONE SQUARE. but it was a few months before i got there. Ditto with ice cream (which i don't bother with much other than the low cal ice cream as it's a calorie killer and "special occastion" thing). I will go buy one fancy cookie at the bakery VS box of cookies.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    It's a process. In your other thread you got some good suggestions.

Sugar and flour can cause compulsive eating for some people, and you don't need either one so if cookies and ice cream and things like that are a problem stop buying them.

I make my decisions at the store, when I'm not hungry. Shop with a full stomach.

I also make sure I'm eating enough throughout the day and I have a good sized dinner so I don't want to eat mindlessly after dinner.
  • GoatishGoat
    GoatishGoat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I found that since I’ve shifted what times I eat, I can avoid hunger later in the day. I’ll have breakfast, lunch, a snack after school and then dinner at maybe 7-8pm and this tends to be enough for me. You should adjust it to when you feel most hungry so you’re not as likely to snack.

Finding healthy alternatives to your favourite snack foods also works- Like low fat/sugar ice cream, low cal cookies. Ultimately you WILL feel some level of hunger if you’re used to eating large amounts of food, until you get used to sticking to the calorie count you’re given- There’s always an adjustment period.
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    yes, the best thing to do is not buying it in the first place. If i dont have tasty food in the shelf or fridge. I am not tempted enough to go to shop for it.
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to log all your food in the morning (or night before), making sure to add sweets for the end of the day as well. When you do it like that, you see what you can fit in within those calories. Also remember if you exercise, you can eat a little more on those days.
  • travelerscode
    travelerscode Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Halo Top ice cream. I inherited my family sweet tooth and that stuff is a diet-saver.
  • WMMcBride93
    WMMcBride93 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Success with a regular caloric deficit comes from planning. If you mean prep at the beginning of the week you can pre count the calorie amount in those meals boxes. High protein, high fiber and low fat will give you a more full feeling for longer.

At night I also like something sweet or I just feel like I need to eat a little something in general. Often times I can drink a cup of organic juice that is naturally sweet and it fulfills my need. 😋👍🏻
  • CatherineLaurel
    CatherineLaurel Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I found that since I’ve shifted what times I eat, I can avoid hunger later in the day. I’ll have breakfast, lunch, a snack after school and then dinner at maybe 7-8pm and this tends to be enough for me. You should adjust it to when you feel most hungry so you’re not as likely to snack.

Finding healthy alternatives to your favourite snack foods also works- Like low fat/sugar ice cream, low cal cookies. Ultimately you WILL feel some level of hunger if you’re used to eating large amounts of food, until you get used to sticking to the calorie count you’re given- There’s always an adjustment period.

I agree with this. It took me forever to figure out the cal deficit thing. But timing when I eat (basically have small lunch, snacks, and huge dinner ) plus funding lower cal alternatives helped me. Mainly shopping the perimeter of the grocery store where the protein and veggies foods are is a big key to success! Halo top is the best low cal iced cream btw.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I still have to learn a lot about portion control. So I checked my MFP record over the last 11 months and set myself calories per meal time. I am not a big breakfast fan - and keep my calories on around 250. Lunch - I never have much time, so I try to stay within 450 calories. Dinner - the family meal around the table - was always a calorie problem for me. I give myself about 750 calories and snacks (I am not a "snacky" person) 300 calories. Total 1750 calories per day. With exercise I eat a little bit more. This calorie split helps me to work out a basic meal plan for the next day, also including other eventualities like eating out. It might sound cumbersome, but I am used to it now and it works for me.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    i buy fancy dark chocolate with sea salt at World Market. they have places to break them into 8 squares. One square is 55 calories. i have one in the evenings.
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Are you sure 1600 calories is appropriate? I’m 143lbs and losing, albeit slowly, on 1550.
    I found that when I increased my protein, I am much less hungry throughout the day. I still save some room for something sweet at night.