For all the choices I’ve made, this is for you.

Options
Yup. I am about to do it. I am about to be one of those people that brags about how well they are doing. These are the facts:

I am 31 years old, 6’5” tall, and a big ole fat body mess. It’s true, I’ve always carried my weight well, but in November when my personal scale read “ERROR” when I stepped on it, I knew it was time for a change. So went to the gym, and used the big persons scale.

413 lbs.

It shocked me, hurt me, and made me generally bummed out. I often joke about the choices people make, and how silly they are. The mullet haired, acid wash jeans, leather vest, Iron Maiden t-shirt wearer who thinks 1989 was the best it can ever get. The 600 lbs individual choosing to ride the scooter at the grocery store, basket filled with Mt Dew and cookies.

And here I was. 413 lbs. With nothing but the choices I’ve made about my life starring back at me like all those I judged to make myself feel better.

What are some of those choices? I’m so glad you asked. Cigarettes? Pack a day. Beer drinker? Any time. Late night snacker? Guilty as charged your honor. Eat till I’m full and about to slip into food coma? That’s where you’d find me.

So, I download this app (literally, this app). I start tracking my food, and am shocked at how much garbage I am putting into my system. I start making little changes, and weight loss begins. Not much at first, but a little. I decide that’s not enough, so start working out and being physical. Again, more weight comes off.

4 months later, and I’ve lost about 30 lbs. No where close to where I want to be, but an amazing start. And realistically, an amazing number! At this rate, I will be down 90 lbs by this time next year!

The reason for this post though? I finally gave up smoking a month ago, and I feel amazing. I am in the midst of a plateau, and haven’t lost much in a while, but I did it. I quit smoking, and didn’t gain a bunch of weight. My clothes smell nice, my smile is whiter than ever, and I can breathe like i haven’t since I was in HS.

This past weekend I had to take down a tree that had been raised in the last windstorm the Midwest had, and was shocked at how much I got done, how little I complained, and mostly how amazing I felt doing it. I was a hot sweaty mess covered in saw dust, wood chips, fuel, oil, leaves and mud, and was breathing like a stallion who just ran the big race.

It was the first time in a very very long time I felt truly happy. I had surprised myself, accomplished some small goals, and was on my way to completing the biggest ones I had.

So, dear community, I wanted to share that. Not to bum anyone out, but the exact opposite. I want to promise all of you, any of you, that you can do it. Small changes and small goals have massive impacts over a long period of time. Start with eating a bit healthier. Drinking more water (yes, H2O). Just start small, and use it to catapult you forward. I promise, it will work.

For any of you that are looking for friendship, motivation, support, whatever, feel free to add me! I love flipping through my feed at the end of the night and seeing all the support and success people share daily. Even if it’s just logging for a week straight, whatever it is! If you’re like me and used to read all these and never post, post something! You have no idea who could read your words and be inspired or comforted.

But most of all, keep seeing the best in yourselves. Keep wanting and seeking and trying and failing and succeeding. And if you want, post onto this thread your own brag and your own victories!

Got nothing but love for you, void of interweb. Keep being amazing everyone!

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I love this post! I hope things continue to go your way.
  • getrealgirl
    getrealgirl Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Best thing I read all day! Congratulations to you and keep up the great work!
  • shirgify
    shirgify Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting such a positive piece. Wishing you all the best!
  • kpavich189
    kpavich189 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Way to make a goal more attainable - that's what life is all about - small, bite size goals to achieve long term results. This applies to our health, relationships, work, etc. You hit the nail on the head. We are supporting you!
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Congrats on all of you've accomplished so far. Wishing you well for your continued success and journey as you keep trying to achieve your goals!
  • newhopeind
    newhopeind Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! Passing positive vibes to all!
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    On your way/weigh Keep Going!
    :wink:
  • walktalkdog
    walktalkdog Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I loved reading your story! Continue to be amazing!
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Love this!! Congrats on your successes!
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,510 Member
    Options
    What a positive post! Congrats on your successes and would like to follow your journey.
  • joiegl80
    joiegl80 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for being a breath of fresh air and making me feel like I was on the journey so far with you. You made me smile and think that if you can do it then I can do it too. Question for you : have you ever thought of becoming a writer because you are a great storyteller?
    Congratulations on your successes both big and small.
  • newhopeind
    newhopeind Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not I do a little writing but am mainly a public speaker!

Thank you all so much!
  • beachme14
    beachme14 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Love love love your story!!!