Running shoes

Options
So I was doing my daily park walk with the family and decided to try running to see if my knee could handle it. Well needless to say it didn't. I did however come across a very athletic couple and we talked for a bit and the husband told me that he had the same knee issues I was describing and recommended to get some actual "running" shoes. lol I felt like an idiot because I didn't even think It could have been my shoes. I mean I wasn't running in heels or anything they just were not the best tenny's to be running in. We are going this weekend to a specialty store so I can get fitted or see what kind they recommend for me. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Replies

• reggaegirl02
    reggaegirl02 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Bump!
    (I'd like to know too! :))
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Take your time, try on everything they have in the store, try actually running in them a bit (good running stores will have a treadmill or small track so you can demo shoes) until you find the ones that fit best.

Fit is all that matters.
  • FitPhysique
    FitPhysique Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    that happens more often than you realize. There's a lot of misconceptions about running, some think that any sneakers will do but not the case. It's worth it to invest in a great pair that fits you. Good luck and welcome to the sport!
  • jillybean18353
    Options
    I was just wondering what kind of knee pain do you get because sometimes after running for about five minutes it starts to feel like someone is pushing a needle into my right knee. And it continues to hurt for a while after I finish my run.
  • dfeledichuk
    dfeledichuk Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    It is really important to get fitted, can`t recommend a shoe type as it depends on if you are a pronator or not, your arch, width of foot etc.. Basically a lot depends on whether most of the pressure on your foot is on the inside or the outside when you walk. If you are in Canada I would recommend the Running Room they are awesome for putting you in the right running shoes.

Good luck!
  • Malani2010
    Malani2010 Posts: 245
    Options
    It's hard to explain the "kind" of knee pain but its my left knee and its on the inside right under the knee cap. It feel like I bruised it somehow. We are going to go check out this specialty store here in Amarillo, Tx. I so want to be able to run more and longer .
  • Ifican
    Ifican Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Granted shoes help and there is always going to be an adjust period but it sound to me like you have "runners knee". But i will go one further and say that most running or activities that cause pain are generally all cause because of a musculoskeletal issues mainly imbalances. Tight calves and hamstrings cause most lower leg pains. I will ask you the number 1 question that i already know but will ask anyways. How often to you stretch your calves, hamstring, quads and IT band?

Oh also please go to a reputable store with knowledgeable staff. you dont want to get sold on shows that feel the best while you stand or walk in them, quite often the show that is the best for you is not the shoe that "feels" the best. Cushion and stability are designed into shoes under load not just standing there. Manufacturers like to put cushy sock liners in them to fool you into thinking they are great because they feel like pillows when you put them on, but i can assure you that pillow softness is doing absolutely nothing for you while you are running.
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I wear Asics. I've been running for a year and a half (coming up on 1000 miles ran) and am on my 4th pair. Love them. :heart:
  • Malani2010
    Options
    Granted shoes help and there is always going to be an adjust period but it sound to me like you have "runners knee". But i will go one further and say that most running or activities that cause pain are generally all cause because of a musculoskeletal issues mainly imbalances. Tight calves and hamstrings cause most lower leg pains. I will ask you the number 1 question that i already know but will ask anyways. How often to you stretch your calves, hamstring, quads and IT band?

Oh also please go to a reputable store with knowledgeable staff. you dont want to get sold on shows that feel the best while you stand or walk in them, quite often the show that is the best for you is not the shoe that "feels" the best. Cushion and stability are designed into shoes under load not just standing there. Manufacturers like to put cushy sock liners in them to fool you into thinking they are great because they feel like pillows when you put them on, but i can assure you that pillow softness is doing absolutely nothing for you while you are running.

I know there is some discomfort when working out much less running but there shouldn't be agonizing pain when I walk upstairs or just try to get down on the floor with my kids. At least I don't think there should be. lol
  • horsemom53
    horsemom53 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Brooks....that is what they do and the only thing they make (they make running their business and I know that half of the employees run to and from work every morning). You need to make sure to be fitted for them because they do run small but they are super comfortable and give great support. You can also check out their website brooksrunning.com.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I posted something similar about my knees and running recently. Several people commented that my hips might not be strong enough (which is common in women) and causes knee pain. Just something to think about if the sneakers don't help.
  • msbeavert
    Options
    I'd been having issues with my right knee for some time and finally made an appointment with my ortho to check it out. He did some tests and found no arthritis, just minimal cartilage damage and determined that I have something called patellofemoral syndrome and sent me to the physical therapist to learn some techniques to work it out. He did tell me straight away that I was using the wrong shoes and recommended a specific kind for my issue (Saucony Cohesion). The PT guy told me the same thing so I went out and spent the money on the shoes and started doing the stretches/exercises they told me about. When I say I had IMMEDIATE improvement, I'm not lying. Before the shoes I couldn't even walk without knee pain, now I have a knee stabilizer and the new shoes and I can really push it and it's not bad. The doctor did say that this particular ailment is only healed with time and by building up the muscles to support the knee, so I know I have some time to go but now I'm a firm believer that the kind of shoe does make a difference. I'm still getting over the sticker shock though! LOL
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    When I started to do the C25K back in the winter of 2010, I was fitted for a pair of running shoes at a running shoe store (not a chain). I felt like they took plenty of time for me, but a co-worker went to a store where they had her walk through a sand box and also run on a treadmill to make sure they had her stride down before they selected the right shoes. (sounds like getting your first wand in Diagon Alley!)

I loved my shoes - but I started to have more and more pain as I subjected my old joints to the run so I started investigating how to work on my running stride and I found "Chi Running" which is a GREAT study on how to adjust your running stride to a less harmful stride that's more natural. It doesn't have to be Chi Running there are other books - but I'm now starting over after falling off the fitness wagon and I'm only doing my running (5K101 this time) through the Chi Running approach.

Basically it's running where you lean slightly forward and your stride is shorter, you land with your foot under your body and you never land on your heal. Some people run barefoot or with minimal foot ware so they can feel the way they are landing better - but there is no need to do that - you can still wear good running shoes!

It's only been ten days but so far I'm feeling GREAT with WAY less discomfort than the last time I tried this!

Good luck!
  • Malani2010
    Options
    When I started to do the C25K back in the winter of 2010, I was fitted for a pair of running shoes at a running shoe store (not a chain). I felt like they took plenty of time for me, but a co-worker went to a store where they had her walk through a sand box and also run on a treadmill to make sure they had her stride down before they selected the right shoes. (sounds like getting your first wand in Diagon Alley!)

I loved my shoes - but I started to have more and more pain as I subjected my old joints to the run so I started investigating how to work on my running stride and I found "Chi Running" which is a GREAT study on how to adjust your running stride to a less harmful stride that's more natural. It doesn't have to be Chi Running there are other books - but I'm now starting over after falling off the fitness wagon and I'm only doing my running (5K101 this time) through the Chi Running approach.

Basically it's running where you lean slightly forward and your stride is shorter, you land with your foot under your body and you never land on your heal. Some people run barefoot or with minimal foot ware so they can feel the way they are landing better - but there is no need to do that - you can still wear good running shoes!

It's only been ten days but so far I'm feeling GREAT with WAY less discomfort than the last time I tried this!

Good luck!

Thanks for the info!! I'm researching it now and there is a light that has gone off because that is exactly what I have been doing wrong. I never thought it was ME lol
  • Ifican
    Ifican Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    As i eluded too it could be just about anything but is most cases is lower leg. But yes hips could also be the culprit too. Chi running is an excellent technique its hard for some to grasp but is very effective for running efficiency. Though will do nothing to help with referred or indirect muscle pain. Stretching and moderate strength training will work the best to fix the problem assited by chi running for technique would be great. In a nutshell Chi and all the other running styles out there that teach the same thing teach you to foot land below your hips to minimize the pounding your body takes and maximize the shock absorbing capacity of your legs. Loosen, tight muscles, strengthen weak ones and unless your pain is from something not related or genetic then it will do the trick.
  • Malani2010
    Options
    Well I researched Chi Running and it is pretty great. We went to the park like always but I took some of the info with me, and just walked so I wouldn't hurt myself anymore, and I have to say that I am amazed. Just from what I read about posture and such I took it to heart and got done with the walk pain free.
  • finchase
    finchase Posts: 174
    Options
    I had a similar problem. I had developed plantar fascitis, and while I was continuing to walk, it was limiting me. I was telling a friend of mine about this one day when we were walking, and she noticed that my feet rolled inward badly. I guess that makes me a pronator. She suggested I go to an actual store and get fitted (I'd ordered my shoes online previously.)

I went to Run On! and as soon as they saw me walk, they started pulling out shoes with a lot of support. I tried on several brands but settled on the Brooks Trance 10 and I absolutely love them! My plantar fascitis is under control, my knees are better, and I'm putting in more exercise time than ever. The shoes were expensive but completely worth it. I'm going to be getting a new pair soon.

So I agree with the people who suggest you go to a reputable store that carries multiple brands and try them on until you find the one that works best for your feet. Another thing: You might want to pick a store that has a good exchange policy. As much as I love my Brooks, the first pair rubbed a bad blister on my heel and I had to take them back and exchange them for a larger size. Run On! stood by their policy 100%, so I'll go back there when I'm ready to buy my next pair.